Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just talking about this to BoomieMCT and figured I'd share / ask for advice.

Must as I like the musicality of my Linkwitz dipole subwoofer, it doesn't play deep, and when I EQ it deep it gets really muddy. So I either get effortless bass that only goes down to 38 Hz or so, or I get flat to 20 hz and resonant bass. Not a trade I want to make.

since these drivers (Exodus Tempest-X one-offs) are great for OB/IB, I figured they would be great candidates for an LLT.

Kevin Haskins originally recommended them in a 7 ft^3 enclosure, 100% fill, and 15 hz port tune.

Are there any calculators out there for estimating box size for these based on T-S parameters? It's been a really long time since I designed a subwoofer from scratch. :)

Thanks,
Anthony

·
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the T-S for the V-C's in parallel

Re: 3.95 ohm
Qts: 0.578
Qes: 0.673
Qms: 4.095
Fs: 24.5hz
mms: 130g
cms: .300mm/N
BL: 11
Vas: 284L

I think I remember calculating one voice coil with the other one shorted yielded Qts of 1.03.

I have two of these. They are not in production anymore, so no webpage. They were a mistake and I got a great deal because of it. :D

·
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, (last self-comment, I promise) -- it looks like even a gigantic 7 ft^3 isn't really an LLT, although it shares some of the same hallmarks.

Port tuned below audible, large volume almost useless as damping force. I'm hoping it will work. For under $100 (sonotube, port, stuffing) I can build a test manifold and see how it does. then I either have a water heater in the corner, or I move forward building something to house both drivers.

Hmm, more to think about

·
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not a standard Tempest-X, use the T-S I quoted above.

I appreciate having a second set of eyes on this. I downloaded WinISD and have been playing around with it.

I'm hoping to use some 16" sonotube and bit more than 6' of it (whatever my HD has). This will just be a prototype.

Thanks again.

·
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What programs were those? The one looks like WinISD, but what's the Sonosub one?

Thanks for the help. I got a bit more extension with my modeling in WinISD. Which Qts did you use? 1.01 was good for OB/IB, but it seemed to model better with the DVC wired in parallel (Qts = 0.578)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used the Qts of 0.578 and a HPF at 13 hz. The sonosub program is Sonosub.exe. The "download" button is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/sonosub.htm
I don't want to be too alarmist but I've downloaded 'sonosub.exe', 'flareit.exe' and a couple of other programs lately and my PC become infected with an infamous PE_VIRUX.D recognised by TRENT Micro. Fortunately this happened at work :sweat:. But I also did the same at home and after running Avira Antivir the programm said both files were infected with 'W32/Virut.Gen':

Description:
A generic detection routine designed to detect common family characteristics shared in several variants.

This special detection routine was developed in order to detect unknown variants and will be enhanced continuously.

Coincidence or not I leave this warning. Has this happened to someone else?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi there cochinada,

I'm the author of those programs and naturally am concerned if any infection has happened.

I've scanned my local copies and the copies hosted at subwoofer-builder.com using AVG and the latest virus database (downloaded today).
No virus was found.

As an indicator of safety, I publish the exact filesizes on the download pages.
If you check your copies, you should see:
sonosub.exe Filesize 811,008 bytes
flare-it.exe Filesize 258,048 bytes

If your sizes match these, I would say you are seeing a "false positive" from your anti-virus product.

If the sizes are different, then they would most likely be infected, however as the copies available for download are clean, the infection would have originated elsewhere on your system.

regards
Collo

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi collo,

I've downloaded both programs again and the sizes matched so I ran my anti virus again and this time everything is clean!

So, I guess you were right. These files were probably infected AFTER I've downloaded them. Unfortunately I deleted them when I got the warning, so I cannot check their sizes to see if it was a false positive or not but I'm convinced they were infected al right.

But thanks and sorry for the false alarm.

·
Registered
287 Posts
No worries Joaquim,

it's better to be sure than sorry when it comes to mongrel viruses!

Probably a good idea to do a full scan of your system.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts