Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for that additional info Josh.

Yes, but in your case the volume is fixed. The port length can be changed to find the optimum tuning, though by Mike's graphs they all look pretty good at 15hz. My favorite amongst those is the IXL18.

I really like the idea of making this sub stealthy, nobody will ever know where the bass is coming from:shh:. It looks like there is a small area just to the left, could your port fit in there allowing you to put both the port and woofer up top?
I am not sure I follow you. Why is the volume fixed? Do you mean that max volume is 13^3 and that it cannot go larger?

I also am not sure about the small area part you are referring to. I pretty much have a 17" x 22" rectangle area to work with behind that cabinet. I could do a trapezoid at mentioned, but there is really no benefit. Either way I will not be able to install an 18" in the top firing up. If I go with one 15, I could fire it up and possibly have room for the port firing up as well. But I would rather do one 18 in one box and a pair of 15's in another, if I end up doing two boxes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you ever decide on a final design? I have similar space constaints and was wondering what you decided on.

Thanks,
Tommy

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi Tommy...

No... I have not decided yet. I got more interested in doing my car and kind of put this on the back burner for a while. I will eventually do something though.

I have just learned how to use WinISD... so now I am beginning to understand this modeling a little better. It will help me with the decision.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
See... you have been a bad feller... :foottap:

All gone... gone, gone, gone! I sold everything and tore out the HT in the garage where my car is now parked. :bigsmile:

We just have a great room system now.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah... I know, which is where is was for the longest time. It needed pampering a little though. :huh:

I really haven't missed the HT room at all, but mainly because my great room setup is very nice, with the exception of no sub, which will be solved before too much longer.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I am back in the planning stages with this again... now that I have almost finished my car ... and college football is coming to a head very soon. After the Bama vs. Auburn game next weekend, I should have time to get the home sub box built.

I have purchased an Audiopulse AX15D2 Axis 15" driver.

Looks like I am going to need a 12 volt triggered power block for the EP2500, since I will have to mount it behind the corner cabinet with the sub. Manually cutting that thing on and off will get old.

I have found this Russound Act-1 thus far... anyone know of anything cheaper than $50.

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
That Russound Act-1 amp isn't really a good idea. You should get one that is at least 15amp and ideally 20amp if you are using a 20amp circuit (which you should be with the EP2500 :foottap:).

The Xantech AC1 is a 15 amp unit (30 amp peak) unit which would be better suited for the application it can be purchased for about $90. If you want a real 20 amp unit you will have to build it yourself.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If that is the case here is a nice 30 amp relay for $9.
Thanks... that should work well. With spare stuff I got around here, this thing may not cost me but 20 bucks.

What cabinet size and tuning are you going with?
I haven't decided yet. Recommendations are welcome. :bigsmile: I am thinking maybe tuning it to 16Hz.

Why would you not just leave the EP2500 on?
I would just feel mo betta with it off.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
8 cu.ft. tuned to 16 hz an 8 inch port 60 inches long looks good. It can handle 1500 watts and produce 116 db at 16 hz. Air speed rises to 31 m/s at 14.5 hz which shouldn't be a problem. The first port resonance is at 112.7 hz so you might have to cross over a tad below 80 hz.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So you think that is it huh?

I am probably going to do a slotted port this time.

I got to get serious about this... there are a LOT of good movies I want to watch and I am tired of waiting.

The amp is in... gotta get the fan swapped out and the remote turn-on built as well.

This is what I am getting with my tested TS Parameters:

pulse1.jpg

pulse2.jpg

pulse3.jpg

I can get to about 7.7ft^3 with a 17" x 22" x 76" box using a 3" port the full 22" width side at 72" long, doubling the walls to 1.5" thick. That is pretty much as large as I need to go with the box to make it fit. 7.7 will be net after port, bracing and driver volume are subtracted.

The only real problem I see is too much power and I could get into some excursion issues.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I need to cross it over at 80Hz with these Sierra 1's. How can I get the first port resonance up?

21 - 40 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.