Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
This thing keeps getting smaller, but not a lot of choices since I am trying to park a mac truck in my living room closet. :sarcastic:

It ain't sketchup or professional by any means, but you get the idea, maybe.

Of course it will have a platform with legs of some sort.

I'll be using an 8" x 48" concrete tube port with 1.5" flares on each end.

Looks like the port will be tuned to about 16.25Hz.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Holy bracing batman! Looks good Sonnie, performance looks pretty much the same between 9.8 and 9.2 ft^3
I'll second that! Why not just stick a bunch of 2x4's joining opposite sides (say 2 per 'level') and alternate directions at each level of bracing? I mean I like cutting holes and all, especially with a circle cutter on the drill press, but those braces are a project unto themselves!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I probably will do all holes and no squares to make it go faster, but it won't be that big of a deal once it's over with. :whew:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Hmmm... with an 8ft^3 enclosure I am getting a 17.45Hz tune, which may not be all that bad. Remember to keep port at 8" x 49.5". That accounts for the 48" tube with 1.5" for half the flares, provided I can find a 1.5" cutting length roundover bit.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I figured that is what you must have done.

You know... just looking at this thing (the ever changing possibilities)... I may go with a 6ft^3 enclosure and tune this thing to 20Hz. Doing this will assure me that I'll never have to worry about port air velocity and cone excursion even at full power. Look at the differences...

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Oh yeah... I forgot about that below 20Hz excursion. I guess I need to go ahead and get me a filter of some sort.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I just spoke with Rodny and he has a roundover bit I can borrow for the flares.

The Reckhorn B1 is reasonably priced, but dialing in a 20Hz filter appears to be a guessing game. I would rather have an indented rotary knob or specific accurate markings. 7 o'clock is 12Hz and 8 o'clock is 25Hz. It would not take much to be off there. I suppose I could always measure the frequency response with sweeps in REW and get it close.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I may opt for the Behringer DCX2496 and sell my BFD1124p. I can get the DCX at cost.

The only drawback is the HPF starts at 20Hz, so if I ever needed anything lower, it would do me no good. Not fair. :hissyfit:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Another benefit of the DCX is I have the choice of 12, 18, 24 or 48db x-over slopes and it has shelving filters. This thing does all kinds of tricks.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I am hopefully getting the wood cut today. My cabinet builder is supposed to call me back shortly. I plan on visiting Rodny in the morning to pick up the roundover bit for the router. If all goes well, I'll be working on it tomorrow. :T

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am hopefully getting the wood cut today. My cabinet builder is supposed to call me back shortly. I plan on visiting Rodny in the morning to pick up the roundover bit for the router. If all goes well, I'll be working on it tomorrow. :T
Great news sonnie :T Please be sure to post lots of pictures of the Build and also the equipment

I hope poor Rodny gets paid for all his hard work and the tools you borrow :kiss:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
lol... yeah... he gets paid very well, at least my pocket feels that way. :sarcastic:

I did manage to get all the wood cut by my cabinet maker today... all nicely done!

This will be one I'll have to put together without Rodny's help, but should I ever need it finished for public viewing, I'll have to take it to him.

I'll take my EP2500 and quiet fan with me in the morning and we'll throw one of those extra alarm connectors he has lying around his shop onto the fan for easy swap out.

I have to cutout all the bracing holes and if I can manage to get finished with that I'll start sticking it together. :T

61 - 80 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.