Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 40 of 191 Posts
Re: LLT Explained

firstly, thanks Willy for the thread, had a look and sounds like he's happy, but like you I could get no pictures. Posted a reply asking if he could try reposting his design, let's hope he puts it up again. Interesting that at one point he or someone else mentions that regardless of some of the design programs these drivers make a good sealed sub. Maybe I should just bloody well build one and see what happens??!!?? But, I do think it would be more logical to get some advice first and so here I am.

Steve, thanks for having a look. These are published figures, I haven't measured them

Qts 0.17; Vas 89.7 l; Fs 18.9; Re 3.4; Le 4.3; Xmax 12.5 mm; Z 8; Qms 2.63; Qes 0.18; spl 88.4; Sd .035m2

I may as well learn a bit as we go, from what I can gather the problem parameter here is the Qts?? If that's true can you explain why it is so??

thanks a lot, even if it ends up I can't do anything with these drivers, at least I will have a better understanding of things. I might be in the states early next year, maybe I should just buy an Adire Tumult while I'm over there !!!Probably couldn't bring it back as luggage tho because of the weight??

lots of love

terry

The low Qts means that the driver is naturaly pretty well damped and will have a less steep rolloff - adding port output to this creates a hump rather than a smooth union. So what you end up doing to get a smooth-ish union is tuning really low, and the low Vas and limited air displacement capabilities of this driver don't suit a low tune that well. A single 15" TC 2000 is better suited to such a task. If you stick with these and go ported, you'll want to tune higher with a smaller enclosure in my opinion, something like 4 drivers, 200 liters, high pass ~18hz, 1400 watts, and a 6-6.5" diameter port.

thanks Steve
just finished reading the thread on LLT on the AVS forum, I'm exhausted...

OK moving on, these drivers aren't suited. That is unfortunate! Hopefully the OP Willy mentioned will get back to me. From that other post, I gather your sonosub is actually an LLT?

Thanks for your help guys, for now will hope that I can use these drivers, but will revisit this later when have a better driver. Is the tumult a better or worse driver than the one you mentioned Steve? Bear in mind I'm in Australia, not sure how supplies go in this area yet, but by the time shipping etc is factored in things get VERY expensive over here. The tumult 15 will cost me $1150 Aus for eg, don't know what they are worth there.

For reference sake, have you posted 'preferred parameters' for this alignment? For example, I could have seen my drivers weren't suitable if I'd had access to such a list. Would also enable me to search locally available drivers for suitability.

Due to house constraints an IB is not an option, so this alignment does appeal to me. Size is not a problem, I have 17 feet ceilings so from a scale perspective the larger the better!! I can end up with the LLT, like yours, and another three or four lookalikes that are actually bass traps! They would all blend in nicely then.

Please, a quick rundown on preferred drivers??

lots of love

terry

Tumult is a nice driver, but for it's price, you can get multiples of other really good drivers, at least here in the States.

How much did you pay for those 4 Peerless drivers and how much might you be able to sell them for? I ask because it seems it may not be worth the hassle to sell and buy new drivers. If you do though, I'd see how much a 15" TC 2000 svc would cost, as based on what's currently available, that is the best bang for the buck driver suited to LLT in my opinion.

Preferred parameters, generally speaking, would be a low Fs, high Vas, low Bl, high Xmax (preferably using a low distortion motor technology), low Le, and what I guess you would call a medium Qts. If we wanna try to assign values to those low, medium, and high descriptions, ideally speaking, let's say Qts between 0.3-0.45, Fs < 20hz, Bl <20 N/A, Xmax > 20mm, Le < 3. And obviously, the larger the surface area of the cone, the better.

Yes, my sub is indeed a LLT, a very badass LLT :bigsmile:

I've decided to use the Avalanche 15 in the LLT instead of the Tumult. They model pretty similar with 240 effective liters and a 16hz tune.

The only way to make this possible would be with any size sonotube 22" in diameter or smaller since the driver/port would be way too close together with 24" tube.

I'd like to keep it at or under 4' if possible.

The WHOLE thing under 4', or the tube length under 4'? You'd be hard pressed to get 240 effective liters trying to keep the whole thing under 4'. Figure 4" for the legs and 2.25" for the end caps and base plate and that leaves you with 41.75" of tube. A 6" diameter port that is 32" long will only get to a 17hz tuning, as effective volume is ~210 liters.

Could you manage a 24" tube that is 48" long? Using a 6" port that is 29" long, you could get ~15hz tuning with ~300 effective liters. Add in feet and caps and you're looking at ~55". Feed it 600 watts and you're golden. ~112db peaks in room shouldn't be a problem, and extension should be solid to the low teens.

NOTE - Man, that sonosub program Collo wrote really makes the tube dimensioning a LOT easier. A very valuable tool.

You're right. That'd be about 4' for the tube itself not taking anything else into account.

Collo's program is nice indeed. I've settled on the 24" tube (WillD made it clear that 22" tube might be hard to find) and going a little over 4' is okay.
That sounds like a perfect plan.

WillD made it clear that 22" tube might be hard to find) and going a little over 4' is okay.
Hey Ex...I had a dickens of a time securing 22" sono!..I was just about ready to give up when I found out that HD had the muscle to order it for me. Anyway 20" and 24" is easy to find here in the Portland metro area. I guess the 22" is considered a specialty size from what I hear.

So your actually going to do a LLT then? Are you in the mode now?..that being you have started on it? Don't forget to post pics of your room after routering:T way cool

I am in the mode alright, but I haven't started routing...frankly I haven't decided yet if im ready to fill this room up with MDF dust again any time soon...I'm definitely more ready to hear what an LLT can do than actually build one :bigsmile: happen to still have any spare sono's Stevenn? :D

happen to still have any spare sono's Stevenn?:bigsmile:
:help: :mooooh: Oh dear...I got plenty of 22" sono including drivers, but you have that part covered. I guess I could do a kit for you minus the driver if your interested? The right packaging costs $$ though.:paddle:

I am interested, considering i'd spend over $100 on the sonotube in the first place...we'll handle the rest over PM

Steve,
Excellent write-up on the LLT concept! Very well done.

I'm curious, having taken a look at your sonosub using the Ava18, I'm curious - what are you powering it with? Looking at a model in WinISD of a similar sub using the TC-Sounds LMS-5400 18" driver, it appears it would require a VERY large amp to push this sub to its full capabilities. I'm assuming the Ava18 would also. In fact, it looks to me as though for the LMS it'd require about 6000 watts. :eek:

Also, on a somewhat related note, I've noticed what looks to me like a bug in the sonosub dimension calculator you mentioned. In attempting to put some dimensions on a possible sub using this driver, I tried modeling a 30" internal diameter tube. Everything looks fine until I check the 'endcaps' page where it says the diameter of the endcaps should be 23 5/8". Now, using the math I was taught in school, a 23 5/8 inch disc would fall right through a 30" diameter tube. :scratchhead: What am I missing here?

davepete - The LMS-5400 would need or preferably have about a ~2200-2400W amp (like an EP2500) to get the most out of it since it has very high power handling, higher excursion (11mm more than the Ava, even more if you use 70% Bl) and lower sensitivty.

It most definitely doesn't need 6000W though...

The Ava18 only needs around 600-700W.

I'm curious, having taken a look at your sonosub using the Ava18, I'm curious - what are you powering it with? Looking at a model in WinISD of a similar sub using the TC-Sounds LMS-5400 18" driver, it appears it would require a VERY large amp to push this sub to its full capabilities. I'm assuming the Ava18 would also. In fact, it looks to me as though for the LMS it'd require about 6000 watts.
The rated sensitivities may be similar, but in the same size enclosures, the Avalanche 18 will produce more output with less power. With my enclosure, tuning, and desire to stay amp limited, I wanted 600 watts into 4 ohms. I found it in the Carvin hd1800. Realistically, I'm probably rarely pushing more than 50 watts. The LMS with 6000 watts wouldn't fit the amp limited criteria - 2000 watts is all you'd want.

Also, on a somewhat related note, I've noticed what looks to me like a bug in the sonosub dimension calculator you mentioned. In attempting to put some dimensions on a possible sub using this driver, I tried modeling a 30" internal diameter tube. Everything looks fine until I check the 'endcaps' page where it says the diameter of the endcaps should be 23 5/8". Now, using the math I was taught in school, a 23 5/8 inch disc would fall right through a 30" diameter tube. What am I missing here?
Well it's not supposed to calculate that for you - end cap diameter is a matter of taste. Some like it flush, some like a small overhang, some like a large overhang. It defaults to 23 5/8" for the default design Collo has loaded. He included fields like end cap diameter, baseplate diameter, port covers, and other such things just so that you can get the design settled all in one area.

Excellent write-up on the LLT concept! Very well done.
Thanks.

The rated sensitivities may be similar, but in the same size enclosures, the Avalanche 18 will produce more output with less power. With my enclosure, tuning, and desire to stay amp limited, I wanted 600 watts into 4 ohms. I found it in the Carvin hd1800. Realistically, I'm probably rarely pushing more than 50 watts. The LMS with 6000 watts wouldn't fit the amp limited criteria - 2000 watts is all you'd want.
Willy, Steve, thanks for the responses. Steve, I'm still trying to understand your "amp-limited" concept as you conceive it. How are you determining amp size for a particular application to make it properly amp limited? Also, I'm trying to understand exactly what the limiting factor would be in this case to keep the power at no more than 2000W. WinISD shows me that at that power level in a 19 cu ft enclosure tuned to 12 hz (using the 18" LMS), we're only using 38mm of the driver's 76mm p-to-p Xmax (above tuning). Clearly the driver's not close to excursion limits at 2000W input. It also is rated to handle much more than this thermally (8000W dynamic). The only issue I can think of is how quickly the driver gets to Xmax below tuning. At 2000W, the model shows the driver hitting excursion limits about 8.8hz. At 3200, it hits at about 9.7. I can't see either of these being a real problem, would you agree? Now, obviously modeling a sub can be somewhat different than real life performance, but where am I going wrong in thinking a sub like this could easily take 3200W? It would seem at that level it's only working the driver at about half its capabilities. It would be pushing an 8" port pretty hard, though, at 56m/s air velocity.

As a quick comparison, TC-Sounds themselves now offer a PR sub design using the 15" LMS 5400 (not tuned or sized like an LLT, though, I believe) which they match with a 3200W amp.

Hey Dave,

Steve is talking about using an amp that can't put out enough power at a given load that is enough to bottom a driver out above the tuning frequency. Thats all I'll say concerning that..

You're a bit confused bout the xmax and modeling. In WinISD, the xmax is one-way linear, which for the 5400 is 38mm. You don't use the peak to peak number in simulations. However, the xmech of this driver is close to 50mm one-way...

Now, obviously modeling a sub can be somewhat different than real life performance, but where am I going wrong in thinking a sub like this could easily take 3200W? It would seem at that level it's only working the driver at about half its capabilities.
No, it would be working the driver at full capacity.The d

I do happen to think that the LMS-5400 and possibly the upcoming 4100 are better suited to passive radiator subs because they seem to like smaller enclosures which would problematic to port properly. They don't need 19ft^3 to work well, you know? And in a smaller enclosure, they can handle more power (like a full 3200W).

Hey Dave,

Steve is talking about using an amp that can't put out enough power at a given load that is enough to bottom a driver out above the tuning frequency. Thats all I'll say concerning that..
That makes sense. I would agree with going that route in the absence of having some kind of limiter capability.

You're a bit confused bout the xmax and modeling. In WinISD, the xmax is one-way linear, which for the 5400 is 38mm. You don't use the peak to peak number in simulations. However, the xmech of this driver is close to 50mm one-way...
Hmm, it clearly states "peak" right on the input screen. In addition, it appears to use that number as though it was p-to-p when calculating the VD. Let's take an example. Using the numbers from the TC-Sounds website for the LMS 5400 18", the Xmax is 38mm one-way. We've also got a listed diameter of 39cm. That gives an Sd of 1194.6 sq cm if we ignore special handling for the surround. Then multiplying that by twice the one-way Xmax gives 9.08 liters, which is the value WinISD calculates if you assume the Xmax it requires is peak to peak. So, respectfully, I believe you're incorrect about the way WinISD handles Xmax.

No, it would be working the driver at full capacity.The d

I do happen to think that the LMS-5400 and possibly the upcoming 4100 are better suited to passive radiator subs because they seem to like smaller enclosures which would problematic to port properly. They don't need 19ft^3 to work well, you know? And in a smaller enclosure, they can handle more power (like a full 3200W).
Certainly what you wrote is true of TC-Sounds' TC-5200 line of drivers. The 18 incher in that line does not model well for an LLT at all, requiring a much smaller enclosure IIRC, not nearly enough to put in a big port. That driver would have to be tuned in a PR enclosure if one chose not to go sealed with them. Not true of the LMS-5400 18", though. For example, if I drop the enclosure size in my WinISD model from 19cu ft to 9, keeping everything else the same, the freq response is altered quite drastically. The size is definitely needed and the driver responds to the extra volume. I'm sure they will indeed work well with a PR, but they also model nicely in a typical LLT enclosure with low tuning, and do benefit from the added enclosure size, unlike the 5200. Perhaps the 5200 was the driver you were thinking of?

So, respectfully, I believe you're incorrect about the way WinISD handles Xmax.
No, you're incorrect. You do not use the peak-to-peak xmax value when modeling. The one-way linear xmax is the standard way of measuring "xmax" and that is exactly what it means.

Put 38mm in the xmax data field, because that is the max linear excursion one-way, and xmax is almost always given for one-way, not peak-to-peak. :shh:

Certainly what you wrote is true of TC-Sounds' TC-5200 line of drivers. The 18 incher in that line does not model well for an LLT at all, requiring a much smaller enclosure IIRC, not nearly enough to put in a big port. That driver would have to be tuned in a PR enclosure if one chose not to go sealed with them. Not true of the LMS-5400 18", though. For example, if I drop the enclosure size in my WinISD model from 19cu ft to 9, keeping everything else the same, the freq response is altered quite drastically. The size is definitely needed and the driver responds to the extra volume. I'm sure they will indeed work well with a PR, but they also model nicely in a typical LLT enclosure with low tuning, and do benefit from the added enclosure size, unlike the 5200. Perhaps the 5200 was the driver you were thinking of?
No, I was talking about the 5400. You're stretching what I said just a bit though. The 5400 does model well in a larger and lower tuned sub, but it doesn't need a 19ft enclosure.

The way the 5400 models, to port it properly in such a large/low tuned design you end up with way too low of a 1st port resonance, IMO. It is simply better suited to slightly smaller designs IMO, like 13ft^3 at 13Hz, or 14ft^3 at 12Hz.

No, you're incorrect. You do not use the peak-to-peak xmax value when modeling. The one-way linear xmax is the standard way of measuring "xmax" and that is exactly what it means.

Put 38mm in the xmax data field, because that is the max linear excursion one-way, and xmax is almost always given for one-way, not peak-to-peak. :shh:
Xmax is often given as a one-way value, but that's an informal standard at best. There really is no standard, and one certainly can't just assume a particular program takes it one way vs the other. That's why it helps to do some manual calculations to see which way the program takes it. WinISD takes it as peak to peak. It is not doubling the Xmax to calculate the Vd, so you have to enter it as p-to-p. If you don't, you won't have the right value for Vd in your model.

No, I was talking about the 5400. You're stretching what I said just a bit though. The 5400 does model well in a larger and lower tuned sub, but it doesn't need a 19ft enclosure.

The way the 5400 models, to port it properly in such a large/low tuned design you end up with way too low of a 1st port resonance, IMO. It is simply better suited to slightly smaller designs IMO, like 13ft^3 at 13Hz, or 14ft^3 at 12Hz.
Yes, at 19 cu ft with a single 8" port tuned to 12hz, the 1st port resonance is a bit low at about 156hz, but not horrible. Steve's writeup recommends around 190hz, so it's a bit under that, but I don't think it's likely to be a deal-buster. If that's not good enough, by boosting the volume up to 22 cu ft and keeping the same tuning and port size, the 1st port resonance rises to over 184hz while only inducing about a third of a dB of resurgence in the shelf response around 13.5hz. This wouldn't be an audible effect and it gets the 1st port resonance right near the sweet spot.

I am sorry, but are you saying xmax is an informal standard but Vd is set in stone as peak to peak displacement?

Thats a bit odd, don't you think?

Xmax is almost always given as the one-way linear excursion. I can't think of many examples where it isn't. Its not our fault that in WinISD, the formula used to calculate Vd is simply xmax x Sd, when usually it is 2 * xmax * Sd. I don't know why you think you need to put in the peak-to-peak xmax simply because of this.

"Having the right Vd value for your model" is completely irrelevant. That value it gives you for Vd is not used in the actual simulation. You only need to pay attention to what the simulation gives you (i.e SPL)

And you're correct about the resonance, 156Hz shouldn't be much of an issue. Do you actually have any intentions of building an 5400 LLT? That would be interesting..to say the least.

21 - 40 of 191 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.