Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still had my pre-cut wood in the garage for my old dedicated wall that was going to house a pair of 15" Ascendant Audio Avalanches. It was dual 6 cubes @ 20Hz with 2 3"x17.78"x54" slot ports. So I know I have at least 12 cubes to work with, but much more....there was a largs slope in the car that I wont have to cut out now. I'll be measuring pieces after work tonight to get actual dimensions so I can get airspace and tuning. I'll be getting 8" PVC.

2 boring shots to show stack of wood "before" I guess, but of course the good ones will come, and the best once the sub is actually ordered. I will break the sub in free-air first, take some vids, then I will play with it in the LLT via 2 optima red tops, a charger, and a Lanzar OPTI2000D. I of course have to wait until Exodus does some dual 2 runs...so if they dont...welll......

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
reality is going to take a while, since dual 2 ohm Maelstroms won't be a possible reality until at least february. So my motivation has sank into the mudd.

I am guessing the wood that I have will allow for 15-20 cubes, I lost my motivation to start measuring it all last night when I realized they can't even keep up with the single 4 ohm versions. There just arent any subs out there like it right now! I will tune as low as I can accordingly. You guys will tell me where to tune... I'm gonna make it as big as I possibly can, use an 8" port, and tune as low as I can.... as for it being a "true" LLT I think having a crossover...using a car amp, and 2 batteries, is going to disqualify me anyway.

It is just a test box! I got rid of my old dedicated car and this wood I pre-cut when I worked at a cabinetry company... Dakota Kitchen and Bath.... and I have always loved large boxes, and since I've been porting, I've always tuned as low as possible. Hence the dual 15's in 6 cubes per sub @ 20Hz.... FOR A CAR!

I am kinda sorta thinking Fi IB18's but thats like choosing an Atlas over an Avalanche and a Brahma over a Tumult :p (or not quite old school Tempest or Maelstom tho hehe)

I will try to be patient, as funds are tight for Christmas anyway, and wait until I have dual 2's ( I begged for dual 1, but not happening) and I'll break her in free-air over night, this will get the girlfriend kind of interested. But once I drop that sucker in an LLT and play with sine waves with my tone generator, and let her listen to her CD's, and watch a few movies (pearl harbor! BOOOOM!) then she is in the bag.

Then I cut into her car, have to cut part of the trunk opening to mount the 18 the way I want it.... IB in "13.8 cubes" seal it off good, seal the air vents that let air out of the trunk outside, take the tail lights and everything out and use Great Stuff expanding foam...

I'll be running a Lanzar OPTI2000D on it @ 1 ohm, 1500 watts. Kevin told me 1000 watts is GOOD for the Mael, but 2000 isn't overkill.... wish i could get dual 1 so I can go .5 ohm on this POS amp I have now, and get a Kicker 2500.1 and go 2 ohm later!!!!

(LanzarOpti2000D 700 watts @ 4 ohm, for got what 2 ohm is, 1500 @ 1 ohm, 2000 @ .5 ohm. I always ran mine at 1 ohm, on an L715, Power Acoustic MOFO, Alpine Type R, and a few others...but my buddy ran his .5 on dual 15" MOFO's... was like a completely different amp... thats when it shines)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts