Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help designing an LLT for a TC Sounds Pro 5100. I have tried to model it with Winisd and the graphs look funky, and I know its not right. I'm looking for a tune <=15hz. I am not picky about port shape but, prefer circle. Would like to keep box below 8cf. I would like to not use a highpass to bass blends well with the small front & rear setting currently a lowpass at 120hz.

AVS - Denon 3312ci

Current Amp - Crown XLS 1500 bridged at 4ohm 1050 watts. I will upgrade amp within the next year for a 2000w amp and move this amp to the fronts. So there for I would like to design under the 2000w assumption.

Your help is greatly appreciated...

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
At a glance, I don't see an 18" driver in an LLT alignment fitting in <8cuft. Also, an HPF below tuning is pretty much mandatory in high power ported builds to protect the sub. I'll take a moment to model it up and let's see what it looks like.

Oh, and welcome to HTS ! :wave:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Well it certainly models like a PA driver-- You aren't going to get anywhere near 14Hz with this driver. Pro drivers just aren't meant to do that (Fs too high, Vas too low). It looks like it would otherwise work to your size constraints, though.

Here's a -3dB EBS (5.5cuft @ 31Hz) and -6dB EBS (8cuft @ 22Hz) for you to look at. Either would need a 10" round port and an HPF to protect the sub below tuning, as Xlim is grossly surpassed with 1000W. I have both with an LPF @ 120Hz and the appropriate HPF to protect the driver.

Honestly, that driver is so sensitive that you still get a TON of SPL even with the -6dB EBS (115dB @ 20Hz!!). If you decide to continue, I'd suggest that alignment but with maybe a lower HPF, something around 60-80Hz to flatten out the range that you are using the sub for.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes Sir it is for HT only. I talked to a plumbing supplier and the elbows are $69 a piece. The PVC 8" pipe is like $7 dollars a foot and they only come in 20' pieces. What would an 8" circle equate to a square port. The PVC is more expensive than I want to spend.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What frequency is your calculation set to? I am getting a cylinder volume of 2813 inches cubed. Then if I convert into square feet it is 1.63 and using your dimensions it gives me a slot port width of 3.8 inches.

Am I approaching this right?

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
As a side note, the simulation plots you posted agree with the previous recommendations of an HPF (at 15Hz) and a lower LPF of 60Hz.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hay guys the box is 80% complete and I realized I had made an error with my wood cut list. It can be fixed with a little rework but, I am wondering what tune I will have as-is. I have 5.67 cf and a 7"Wx7"Hx56"L port. To fix it, I will have to sleeve one side of the box which will be fine with some wood filler and paint. If the port tune is <= 20hz, I will just seal it up and be done with it. Can you guys calc the tune and let me know where I stand please?

Thanks again guys...

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
If you have 5.67cuft net, AFTER subtracting any bracing and the port, then that puts your tuning at a little above 19Hz.

The box is a little on the small side, I hope it performs up to your expectations! It will certainly handle gobs of power with the HPF in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, I appreciate it. I think for now its going to work. I will rebuild down the road when I have a bigger room. It's way overkill as it is....:)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Where's the build log? :boxer: I'm always interested in seeing a build happen, even if it turns out a little different than what you were planning :sweat:. Then we get to see your resourcefulness and cunning in the face of adversity!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry guys didn't take many photos. There is one of the port construction and then some finished pics. Still lacks sanding and staining.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had to pull them off my phone and resize them to get them to upload. Sorry about the fake out...

The picture of the port construction is just the layout. All the interior pieces were routered to create no rough edges, and insure smooth airflow through the port. I will upload more once the sanding and staining is done.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One other note, it would be nice for TC Sounds to provide a template for the speaker cut-out. Also, for those that don't know, there is a great attachment to a router every cabinet builder should have. However, I have a Ryobi router and the attachment isn't available for it. Porter cable and Dewalt make them for their routers. It's a circle cutting attachment that makes short work and perfect circles. I had to do it the old-school way with a jigsaw this time. That's why the cut-out looks a little screwy...

Once my house is finished being built. I am going to get another 18" sub. This time it will be the Ultra. The reasoning is that the Pro 5100 gives me good lows and mid-bass spl. I want the Ultra to give me the additional low end knock. Any thoughts? I haven't even listened to this one yet and thinking about the next....=]

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
This is what I have been using for over 5 years + and it works great http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=365-250

It is a universal circle jig and it says it works on Ryobi's but you will want to check out the MFG's website to ensure compatibility.

Come to think of it if you are getting a LMS Ultra then the Jasper 200 is limited to 18 3/16" and the outside dimension of the Ultra is a little over 18 1/2" so counter sinking the driver would not be possible. You would need to go up to the Jasper jig model 300 for larger holes, I have one of those as well and it works great.

It would be great to hear the differences between the LMS Ultra and Pro 5100, not many people have both.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts