Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking of using a small closet (sans door) to house an LLT sub. I'm trying to decide if I should go with sonotube construction or just build a big box with a side firing sub and port. Would there be any reason I shouldn't do a down-firing sonosub in a closet like this?

Thanks,
-Todd

edit:
I should add that the internal dimensions of the closet are 42"x20"x90" and the door is 36"x80" with about a 5" depth opening so I could squeeze a 24" diameter (20" + 5" for the door opening) sonosub in there, a box would maximize the volume though... For either option (box or sonotube) I would take the door off and cover the opening with a simple frame and speaker grill cloth.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You'll get firmer answers if you give the guys on here the driver and amp you're going to use.
The closet is certainly big enough to use as a speaker enclosure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh... Cool.

Looks like a closet job will work.

I guess I should have been a little more specific with my original question... I was wondering if, being installed in a closet, if it would be advantageous to have a front firing woofer vs. down firing? Same for the port (top vs. front).

This would help me determine what construction style to use (sonotube for down firing, but a box could be either, given the space). I'm guessing it won't matter.... The closet is on the left wall of the media room and between the seating area and tv, closer to the front of the room but not by much. Room dimensions are approx. 12'x22' w/7.5' ceilings. Seating area is about 11' from the front of the room.

I haven't selected a driver yet, but would probably do an ep1500 amp. I'm open to suggestions for sure, but would like to keep the cost <$700 for driver and amp (even less would be better).

I don't really crank it, but would like good extension down to 16hz or so. It will be used for both music and movies, pretty much 50/50 so musicality and some nice HT rumbling are both important.

Thanks!
-t

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome!

This is gonna be fun... It's going to be a couple of months before I can get to building it, but that'll just keep me motivated to finish my media room faster.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts