Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well, seems like the LMS was the right choice for you. I hope to be experiencing some of the happiness you have had from your sub build soon. I only have paint and "ammenities" to go, , and assembly , of course.

Is your LMS on the effects channel- the .1 in the 5.1 setup?

What crossover do you use for HT duty?

Mine is going to be .1 effects channel. The other channels will be full range as they are now, but a filter will be in place to prevent extreme subsonics from the main 5 channels.

How is yours set up?

Excellent job.

Thanks,

Robert

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just came across this thread. Before I read the whole thing, I have to say I want one of those suits of armor!!!. Now back to the reading.

Great job,

Robert
LOL gmmmph . . . . . My grand kids named the suit of armor "Sir Robert". no kidding! He watched over everything that weekend of the build and after it was done, we toasted with an imaginary stein of the bubbly.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Well, seems like the LMS was the right choice for you. I hope to be experiencing some of the happiness you have had from your sub build soon. I only have paint and "ammenities" to go, , and assembly , of course.

Is your LMS on the effects channel- the .1 in the 5.1 setup?

What crossover do you use for HT duty?

Mine is going to be .1 effects channel. The other channels will be full range as they are now, but a filter will be in place to prevent extreme subsonics from the main 5 channels.

How is yours set up?

Excellent job.

Thanks,

Robert
Yes I use the (sub-out) IE: the .1 effects channel to drive the XTi which drives the sub and is connected by an unbalanced RCA to XLR cord. I cross over the sub at 80hz most of the time but use 120hz for some CDs, music only. The other 5 channels on my Pioneer AVR run full blast through the various sound stage options included in the AVR. The "mains" speakers are set via the GUI for large. Those are AR 15" 4 ways 400 watt. The surrounds are AR 10" 3 ways.
The sub is run without a subsonic filter, no High pass. In fact for DVDs I have the the 20hz EQ boosted, set at plus 12db and have the parametric spread set to include to 10hz.
If I have the XTi volume set too high when playing a 10hz signal, the face guard on "Sir Robert" flips up.:yikes:

·
Banned
361 Posts
If I have the XTi volume set to high when playing a 10hz signal, the face guard on "Sir Robert" flips up.:yikes:
I just woke up (lazy day) and that just made my day already. It's normally to early to smile, let alone actually laugh out loud. I am totally disappointed in you HT people that think your too good to make speaker ****... an 18" LMS at 10Hz making a metal face guard on an armord suit flip up... SEALED! Look, now I made my smile go to 1/2 in disappointment :hissyfit:

:D

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey! What good is DIY if you can't laugh at yourself and the silly things you think and do once inna while?

·
Banned
361 Posts
Hey! What good is DIY if you can't laugh at yourself and the silly things you think and do once inna while?
oh I totally agree! right now I'm blowing up the car audio forums with vids of the IB18 doing "Bass I Love You" free air, because that is a huge speaker **** song...but with car audio, SubSonicFilters are undefeatable, and no one knew there was a 7Hz note throughout the song, we thought the "super low note" was the 18Hz tone LOL!

this one shows the 7Hz tone watage... 4.5 watts is shaking my whole room free air!

found this from 2:40 - 2:50... us car guys have been messin with this for years and never knew it exhisted!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
LOL, it's easy to forget how much pure electrical energy a 1000 watts really is. Pro amps that can deliver up to 8000 watts can be dangerous. I guess that was one reason for adding connectors other than RCA types for cabling pro subs . . . . eliminating accidental hand and finger contact while changing cables at a gig in a drizzling rain could be "enlightening" !
Be careful out there.

·
Banned
361 Posts
i was shocked several times from an Audiobahn A1300HCT that claimed 1200 watts, but couldn't have if it was struck by lightning.... but that thing was a bigger kick than a wall socket

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
See what I mean?
The last time I got a shock was when I accidentally walked by my 91 year old grandmothers room while she was changing her soiled clothes.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
:rofl: yes . . . . my poor grandmother finally passed away at age 96 rest her soul. She left me a large bequest in her will. I loved that woman!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Phil Very Nice Sub BTW looks very well constructed, Does your crown XTI 4000 Power AMP have A PEQ that can eq down to 20 hz ??

Cheers....

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Thanks Jason,
The Crown XTi series amplifiers all have the Parametric Equalizer System built-in but only accessible for FULL use via connection to a computer. There is access to some limited functions through the 3 button front panel system.
The Equalizer has 6 EQ filters per stereo channel which can be adjusted up or down to affect any frequency from 20hz to 20,000hz. PLUS each of the EQ filters can be adjusted (Parametric) to widen the frequency chosen. In other words an EQ filter set at 100hz can be adjusted (widened) to affect frequencies from 50hz to 150hz. It's difficult to explain in words. Or more to your question, you can move the No. 1 filter to 20hz, widen the parametric function, and the result of increasing or decreasing the boost will affect the frequencies down to 10hz.

Here's a screen shot of the XTi functioning and adjusted EQ. Note that filter 1 is set at 25hz, filter 2 is set at 55hz, and filter 3 is set at 70hz. The other filters are set at 0 and are not being used. All 6 filters could be moved/changed and used in the 20hz to 120hz region if needed. The white line and the blue shaded portion is the predicted response curve after adjustments.

It took me weeks to understand what the capabilities of the XTi were because Crown's instruction manual is really minimal and the System Architecture has a HELP file accessible by computer only.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for you detailed explanation & example Phil :T......
It sounds like you are very happy with your sub & amp combo....

FWIW I am going to try out Acoustisofts RplusD software for dialling in my SUBs Behringer DCX2496, in RplusD it has A DCX 2496 emulation function that I can use and also Xover emulation for setting up DIY Speaker Xovers, Should be fun But I will more than likely just Do Acoustisofts Consoltation performed by Doug & his Expertise and save the learning curve :hissyfit:

Cheers...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Man, you truly are one lucky man having this sub !!! I bet it sounds super clean and powerful! Great job!

btw try out the new "band manager" from HiQnet, im using it now instead of system architect, I find it easier to use and lot more quicker and user-friendly(its a refined of the System Architect ..)!!

also, just a little heads up; is TC Sounds/Audiopulse are out of the market for good?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
SQ, I agree. When I bought the LMS I had no idea it would be out of production and that TC Sounds would go out of business. In fact at the time I bought it, it was still an unproven driver except in TC's own advertising.
IT does sound clean and it IS powerful but what it does that I like and does it better than any other driver I've heard is sound like the real thing. A kick drum sounds like a kick drum and a tympani sounds like a tympani and all the percussion and bass instruments sound like they did when I played in the symphony. Plus it'll blow your windows out playing WOTW!
I plan on trying out the HiQnet "Band Manager" and HiQnet V.1.9 too. I guess a DIY's job is never done eh?
The original TC Sounds is DEFINITELY out of business. Audio Pulse which is listed as a part of TC SOUNDS CORPORATE has been producing or assembling a limited number of AUDIO PULSE labeled drivers of various sizes including the 12 inch through Parts Express. I have not heard of anyone having purchased the 18" driver. I think few if any people were willing to pay the high price.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Thilo and TC/AP is regrouping and will make a come back. There has been a few specs released on an 09 LMS.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts