Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Hi Zeverin,
Congratulations on finally posting and coming into the light! I see you've been a member since last year and this is your first post.
Congratulations also on your TC 2K in a 110 liter sealed powered by an EP2500 that's gotta be a great sounding subwoofer project.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thank you.
I'm very happy with my TC 2K (15"). It was a great pleasure building it, and it sound really good. The only thing missing is really high SPL levels. The peak SPL in my room is 119 db, around 60 Hz, because of room modes I think. I'm learning a lot from the members of this great forum. Thanks for sharing the wonders and joys of DIY. Now I'm thinking in building my front channels. I have a few ideas I would like to share, and discuss with you guys, but that will be in another thread.
But first I need to buy a microphone and use REW :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Zeverin,

You don't need to buy a microphone. A simple SPL meter would do just fine. In fact they say it's better than a microphone. About REW I hope your sound card is better than mine otherwise you will have troubles.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Zeverin,

You don't need to buy a microphone. A simple SPL meter would do just fine. In fact they say it's better than a microphone. About REW I hope your sound card is better than mine otherwise you will have troubles.
Yes, you are right. But I was thinking in buying the ECM800, and with that I would also be able to measure speakers drivers performance. I'm wrong? Sorry getting off topic

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I'm looking to do something similar in my home. I want to use the LMS 5400 Ultra with a Crown I-Tech 8000 amplifier. I was just hoping to get an update from you on what the sound is like on yours, or maybe even hear it (I live in Dallas, so I'm a hop and a skip away). I figured the best move I can make before spending money is to actually listen to the product or get feedback from those who have.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I'm looking to do something similar in my home. I want to use the LMS 5400 Ultra with a Crown I-Tech 8000 amplifier. I was just hoping to get an update from you on what the sound is like on yours, or maybe even hear it (I live in Dallas, so I'm a hop and a skip away). I figured the best move I can make before spending money is to actually listen to the product or get feedback from those who have.
I have owned a lot of different subs over the years as my name would imply:D

The most musical sub I have ever owned was the JL Audio F113 and I can say the the LMS ultra in a 4 cuft. sealed enclosure is at least as musical as the JL but with a ton more output for movies.

The LMS likes power but the I-Tech 8000 is too much IMO. In a 4cuft sealed enclosure the LMS reaches X-max at 10hz with about 3200 watts and 0 boost. Add in boost and 4000 watts with War of the Worlds playing at reference it will not be pretty:yikes:

Instead of a single LMS and the I-tech 8000 how about a pair of LMS and a Marathon MA-5050. The Marathon can be had in the $700 to $800 range.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Hi Jim,
What makes this website so valuable is that the earlier posts still remain accessible. That way the development of products and their use by DIYers can be followed by all interested readers. I was interested in subs for years but it wasn't until TC Sounds offered the LMS series that a huge step forward was achieved by the home built crowd.
Since then a few more developers of 18" drivers followed. We're now even at a 21" behemoth! Experimentation and implementation continues. It's been an exciting ride.
Powering huge subs is still an ongoing experiment. The latest development in a small lightweight amp was revealed right here on Home Theater Shack with the responsible Peavey engineer taking part in discussions about the amp right here on the website.
The little lightweight power house IPR 1600 is quickly becoming a darling of the semi-pro crowd.

I power my LMS with a Crown XTi-4000. It does amazing things for the LMS. It can adjust the frequency response to just about any curve you'd like. It can reduce room nodes and provide boosts for nulls. It has gadgets that the pros use but I don't find uses for very often unless I'm performing an audio show for some friends or relatives. It can even extend the response of the LMS down to single digits. In a word, AWESOME.
Your dream of an Itech 8000 is mine too. In fact I just checked E-bay the other day for a good used one. There were none. The Itech 8000, of course, is still a power leader in the pro field. There are other amps that make equal or claim to have equal power or even more but I have YET to see any real proof. In MY book, The Crown Itech 8000 is the best of the best.
The Itech 8000 does much more than the Xti-4000. There is more protection, there are more controls, and it is even more versatile. You have to read both manuals to first understand the way the circuits develop the power and then you have to integrate the amp with a computer to take advantage of all the DSP inventions within the circuit design. I'm still questioning whether I know all I should about the Xti-4000.
In the mean time, the combination is just plain ultimate satisfaction with all audio projects. It is the best combo at playing DVDs or BluRay. I don't often drive the combo into danger territory, that would be way beyond my auditory comfort level plus really, my listening area has some weak spots when I push the system beyond 110 dbs at 15Hz. Both my thermopane glass patio doors flex visibly and the adjacent 3'x6' Pella casement window bows in unison with the subs cone movement. All very exciting but uncalled for. Needless to say when a video calls for explosions or canon fire or even the thunderous launch of a space shuttle or the mechanical monsters in WOTWs, it's like you're right there. And then there are those subtle thumps and thuds that for the average system makes doors sound like they are made of cardboard rather than oak or iron as provided by the LMS and XTi combo.
And music . . . . although in most symphonic renderings there aren't many musical instruments that play down to 20Hz but often the recording studio or surroundings provide an opportunity for a GOOD audio system to reproduce the sonic signature of an expansive hall or even an outdoor concert bandshell.
Yeah, there's lots missing without a sub that plays the lowest octaves. I'm glad I got one that does.
I let my LMS 5400 cross over @ 150hz. It plays so well and so flat and with so much command that the smaller mains can't begin to do the job the LMS does from 70Hz to 150Hz.
I'd be glad to share my "stuff" with you if you can find your way here from Big 'D' . I've had people get right to the door with those new fangled GPS.s
Send me a PM we can set something up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sub_crazy, my primary reason for choosing the 8000 is thinking forward. I'm about to undertake a massive overhaul of everything I have, and I figured that, if I'm going to buy an amp, I might as well buy one that I could use for years and years with a multitude of configurations, and would have more than enough headroom so that no matter what I'm powering, I'll have plenty of headroom. I MIGHT go with a lower I-Tech for now since my HT is nothing but a medium bedroom, and don't need that much to fill it. The Marathon MA-5050 is powerful and awesome bang for the buck, but from what I can tell, it's just an amp, whereas the Crown is a full solution with all of its DSP features. I know I'm gonna want those features and really come to appreciate them as I really learn the ins/outs of the software.

And TWO LMSs? :hsd: I'm not going to lie, right up my alley. I use two JBL W15GTis in the back of my Yukon in an 8 cu ft enclosure tuned to 30 Hz. They're surprisingly musical for being 15s. But I think the one LMS with a few kW of amplification behind it will be more than enough for my HT (for now).

Island1000, I seem to have heard nothing but good things about the LMS, and the fact that you can comfortably use yours up to 150 Hz blows my mind. I currently use 4 10" subs and I only have two set to go to 80 Hz, and the other two only to 50 Hz. The lower-tuned pair is, IMO, a bit boomy, so I'm anxious at the idea of a sealed 18". I'll PM you in a moment.

...I've got this nagging feeling that I'm going to have to convince my brother to run a 220 line for me... :T

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
What can I say, I am just a bargain shopper when it comes to adding more subs for the buck:D

If you have 2 15" JBL's in the back of your Yukon (nice subs:T) then dual LMS makes sense to me.

I am just thinking back to the poor guy I know who ran a QSC PL 9.0 into a single LMS then put on War of the Worlds, the carnage still brings a tear to my eye. That's why I would rather be amp limited than have too much power.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
A/Vnut, you're gonna LUV em.
Most all of us DIYers have followed the LMS SAGA since it's inception including it's downfall, banko, and restructure through Parts Express. The new iteration is even better than the original although the titanium cone has been traded for fewer manufacturing problems to aluminum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Phil,
I use these beasts for stereo so probably don't get most the rumble out of it but don't mind to hook them into home theater system to blast the house sometime :rofl2:

By the way,I think I'm gonna make a seal box 250L with amp plate and think about Hypex DS8. From the spec, it's not a match for LMS (only 800w) but for stereo, it shouldn't be a problem... what do you think ?

How is your IB project....? I love IB but never got a change to do it in my room anyway...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I've only seen limited information about the HYPEX DS8 but if it's rating of 800 watts is available at or near 20Hz it'll be a good choice. It's a class D amp, very efficient.
My IB project is still in design stage. I have yet to purchase the 21" driver.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I know I am bit late on the conversation but any major changes soon to the lms ultra 18"?thinking of getting one but would like to get an updated model if I could. Thank's

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I know I am bit late on the conversation but any major changes soon to the lms ultra 18"?thinking of getting one but would like to get an updated model if I could. Thank's
When the LMS Ultra is back in stock you will get the latest model. Not much will be changed but that's OK, it will still be one of the best drivers available so don't be worried.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
The LMS ULTRA has not changed or been added to that I've heard. Still the Driver that all others are compared to.
I've recently built a sealed 9 cubic foot box with (2) 21s which comes close to matching the LMS.
LMS is still my favorite.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'M looking forward to the LMS and a cerwin vega cv-5000. should be a good combo. Now all I need is to start saving for it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Iust was reading about a few servo subs. How will this compare. Im just kind of interested because I heard nether of these sub's. Im set on a 5400 but just wondering about the diffrence.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
The only servo sub I've heard was one of the large early Velodynes.
It was an amazing sub. Amazing clear concise sound.
I think the LMS has the same clear concise sound but much more of it and it gets lower, louder.
Of course it needs lots of power to do all the above.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts