Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Since the LMS-5400 has been such a hot topic amongst many of us DIY'ers.. we thought why not take advantage of Ilkka's expertise and have a group buy-in for a single 18" LMS-5400 to be tested by Ilkka... Ilkka has agreed to such and I would think this should be most informative! Lets see what this driver has?

The details will need to be decided as we move along. It's a group participation kind of deal, so everyone has a/their say.

NEW INFO!!

I have some VERY good news.

With the help from my very special friend, I managed to arrange a cheaper transportation for the LMS-5400 18" driver. :kiss:

And while were at it, I also ordered two of their TC-VMP passive radiators - naturally 18". :bigsmile:

Now let me see those donations! Paypal account: irissane (at) REMOVESPAMlut.fi

Thus far I haven't got a single donation from the Home Theater Shack. What does that mean? Don't you want to see new and exciting drivers/subwoofers being tested? Without some support from you guys, my tests may not last very long. Think about that for a second...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Re: LMS-5400 buy-in... Ilkka test Thread!

Just curious, how much extra does TC charge for shipping to Finland, Ilkka?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts

Depends of the weight. In the case of 75 lbs LMS, I'd guess something around $200.
Doesn't TC Sounds use FedEx only? Using the "shipping rate calculator" on the FedEx website I got closer to $400...:holycow:

Do you have a service ala JetCarrier (warning: swedish text) in Finland, Ilkka? It might be a much cheaper alternative (although it's by seas so it's slow...).

Just a thought...

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts

Doesn't TC Sounds use FedEx only? Using the "shipping rate calculator" on the FedEx website I got closer to $400...:holycow:
I will try to get an accurate quote from TC-Sounds. Weren't they supposed to change to something cheaper when it comes to international shipping?

Do you have a service ala JetCarrier (warning: swedish text) in Finland, Ilkka? It might be a much cheaper alternative (although it's by seas so it's slow...).

Just a thought...
Unfortunately no.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

Since this has more to do with Ilkka's testing, I think we should move it to his forum.

I will also announce this in the next newsletter that should go out in the next few days.

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts

is the 5400 even in stock? did Kyle guarantee its availability?

I wanted to buy one and couldn't even get anyone to quote me a price or give the time of day on its availability.
It's not yet in stock. They have said it should be in stock in ~3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

I'll donate an additional $50.00 I need to see this tested by knowledgable DIYers. Who will build the box/es?
1) sealed
1) vented
I recently ordered one and I am on the back ordered list. I intend to use a 6 cu ft sealed box with ELF and approx. 2000 watts for home theater. I'm looking for useable response down to 15Hz @ 100db

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts

Steve,

I think you should make a list of people who have promised to donate? That way we can see how much we have.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I think you should make a list of people who have promised to donate? That way we can see how much we have.
Yes good idea, it's my intention to do so this afternoon. As of now we're looking at $350 so far. There were some pledges in the other Thread where all this started, that haven't been transposed over to this Thread. I'll give it a few days and then send some PM's to let them know the pledge will need to be posted over here if the interest is still there.

Whoops! ISLAND1000, what is your total pledge then?

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts

I'll donate an additional $50.00 I need to see this tested by knowledgable DIYers. Who will build the box/es?
1) sealed
1) vented
I recently ordered one and I am on the back ordered list. I intend to use a 6 cu ft sealed box with ELF and approx. 2000 watts for home theater. I'm looking for useable response down to 15Hz @ 100db
As now we're thinking of building a single sealed box (around 5 cu ft). Later we might also try a larger PR box.

I will self build the box(es).

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

I will donate a total of $50.00 regardless of the number of running threads. If I donate any more I won't be able to build my own. LOL Oh, AND I'll donate some of my favorite old mattress stuffing for the interior of the boxes. I can air mail that to Ilkka because of it's light weight.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

As now we're thinking of building a single sealed box (around 5 cu ft). Later we might also try a larger PR box.

Ilkka, that's close enough to my own size decision to be able to understand the LMS-5400's behavior in a sealed box. Excellent!
I'm also interested to see how the factory T/S parameters/specifications compare to those of a delivered unit.

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts

We may have a green light regarding the discount. :bigsmile:

More info coming soon.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

We may have a green light regarding the discount.

More info coming soon.
Excellent!.. nice to hear Ilkka. I know I'll never buy one unless It's proven to me it's a worthy buy. :cool:

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts

TC-Sounds will give me more information about the discount after the backorders have been cleared out.

At this moment it looks like they will have to give us a pretty hefty discount... :no:

·
Registered
487 Posts

Sounds awesome, can't wait for the results :) Been interested in this driver for a long time. Unfortunately I'm not financially able to assist, would like to if I had more disposable income.

Just curious as to why you chose 5 cu ft ??

From TC's site it suggests

Small Box
18LMS-5400
Type Volume
Sealed 3.8 ft3

Large Box (Low Extension)
18LMS-5400
Type Volume
Sealed 7.5 ft3

1 - 20 of 312 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.