Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
301 - 312 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Re: LMS-5400 / RL-p18" buy-in

I called TC last week. It seems that the real price of the LMS ultra18 is going to come in at around 1500 delivered direct from them. Thats the wholesale discounted price. I really want a pair of these, but that makes the RE XXX18 look reasonable at 1200, or a pair of Aurasound NS18's, or 13w7's, 4 FiQ18's...(insert multiples of whatever driver you want here).

·
Banned
35 Posts

too bad Kyle.....because at those prices, the sales of the "ultra" will be few and far in between I'm afraid.

I remember when Deon (with my help) was trying to organize a group buy over at avs, but Bott shut my thread down....anyways, there was plenty of interest in getting a group buy of the LMS5400 18" at around $750 if we could get at least 20 buys.

If Thilo decided to throw something like that together, and sell some Ultras for say $800 if we could sign up 20 people, I think it will be a good success.

just food for thought.

I can appreciate what you feel and i respect that, so i only ask the same.

the LMS's were 800 dollars for a long time, in fact everything we had was arguably a bargain for a long time and it did not work. In fact as we drove down price, the quality shortly followed, its just the nature of it, and its pretty awkward for us to be in that role. We're risking everything now to change our buisness model. I don't ask you buy from us, but i only ask you respect our choice. Making 20 more 5400's, even it was profitable, would be a major back step for us physically, mentally & emotionally.

D

·
0 Posts

Personally, I would jump in an instant at an LMS-5400 for $800, but it doesn't make sense for TC Sounds. It's a high-end, niche market sub and I'd be willing to bet that it would work out like most group buys...the people who are half-interested grab it while it's cheap and the brand never sees any return on that product in the future at it's higher price. I know this hurt Resonant Engineering when they did their previous group buys.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Mike,

I agree with your position, and I respect where TC is trying to go and what they're trying to do; unfortunately, being late to the party is a difficult pill to swallow sometimes. I'm mainly annoyed with myself...

Larry

I can't say I blame anyone for wanting to try and get a LMS-5400 for $800, considering it's one of the best subs ever made. But as Kyle has pointed out, TC Sounds has moved on. Everybody should too.

·
Registered
31 Posts

:unbelievable:

Wow!

*shakes head in disbelief*

"Looking back at how TC Sounds released and advertised this woofer, I think they really missed the target. Had they merely done a FR and THD test akin to yours Ilkka, just about every DIY'er willing to spend up to $1000 would have bought one....or two. That thing is amazing. I'm just baffled now though about how easy it would have been for them to sell a ton more. Yeah yeah, people will say that DIY'ers are a very small percentage of their business, but with this driver being so clearly superior to anything else out there, again, I can see EVERY enthusiast buying one. They'd have sold at least 75x what they did going about things they way they have "

Seriously. They talked it up about how superior the LMS tech was on this thing and just a few graphs to back that claim up sure would have put more sales on their (TCSounds) table. Its pretty sad they way things are now. Well, is the Audiopulse version much different from this one? Other than the blue instead of red cast frame? T/S specs wise?

I have still want these things. Oh wells...
Man, that is a great point and I never understood that either. It is difficult to understand a lot of what goes on at TC Sounds.:scratchhead:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I bid on it up to 840$ and that was really stretching my budget with Christmas coming up and all. I just couldn't afford to go higher right now. I had the local pick up to save myself $80 too:wits-end:. Oh well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
DS-21,

I'd forgotten all about it, but thanks for teh reply.

"simply not up to the task of integrating with superior mains. "

Could you eleaborate on specifically what the audible problems are, or what the audible benefit is of drivers w/less inductance?

301 - 312 of 312 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.