Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 312 Posts

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Re: LMS-5400 / RL-p18" buy-in

My stack of drivers just doesn't compare to that godly stack of drivers and PRs...:clap:

Looking forward to the results of this testing...although i will never have the pleasure of owning one of these drivers.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Looking forward to the results of this testing...although i will never have the pleasure of owning one of these drivers.
Most won't, so we aren't alone. Who knows how available they'll be from Audiopulse or how much they'll cost.

I didn't know you were getting two 5400s Ilkka! Cool deal. Are you still getting the tall surround top assembly for the TC-2000s?

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts

I didn't know you were getting two 5400s Ilkka! Cool deal. Are you still getting the tall surround top assembly for the TC-2000s?
Actually me neither?! :scratch: :R I did order one, I'm pretty sure about it. I may have to order two more passive radiators to go with the second LMS.

Drivers in the picture are (from top row to bottom):
2 LMS-5400 18"
2 TC-VMP 18" (ti cone, single 10" spider)
2 TC-2000 15" (alu cone, half-roll surround)
2 TC-2000 15" top assembly (ti cone, tall profile surround)

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts

Regarding those passive radiators. Mine have only single 10" spider; someone over at AVS posted pics of his PRs, and they have dual spiders? :hissyfit: Maybe those are newer ones?

Also how many washers there should be? I have only 10 for each PR. That doesn't make more than ~1170g with the nut. Jai?

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts

Congratulation Ilkka!!!! the test results.............:daydream:

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts

Ilkka....It would be great if we could have measurements of a sub in a PRed box and in a ported sub...Just to see what would the benefit of a PR be over a port.....
But that means propably 2 boxes:whistling:....or maybed ported box first then port removed and PR hole cut...

·
Registered
521 Posts

Drivers in the picture are (from top row to bottom):
2 LMS-5400 18"
2 TC-VMP 18" (ti cone, single 10" spider)
2 TC-2000 15" (alu cone, half-roll surround)
2 TC-2000 15" top assembly (ti cone, tall profile surround)
Aww man, you got Ti cones for your TC-2000s! I just got the slightly better Alu when I got my new surround assembly. Oh well, I do look forward to you installing those (I love how easy it is to remove/install the top assemblies on these 2Ks) and testing them out as well. I suppose the last testing session you do this fall will be quite interesting (aren't they all?).

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts

Did I mention the LMS 5400:paddle:.... Propably the PL-P18 when he receives it...Or a TC-2000:innocent:

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts

Aww man, you got Ti cones for your TC-2000s! I just got the slightly better Alu when I got my new surround assembly.
Yes, it was a special deal they gave me. I doubt there are many TC2Ks with Ti cones. :bigsmile:

Oh well, I do look forward to you installing those (I love how easy it is to remove/install the top assemblies on these 2Ks) and testing them out as well. I suppose the last testing session you do this fall will be quite interesting (aren't they all?).
I like it too, but you should see the LMS...oh man. :R The whole top assembly is like a big nut that attaches to the motor. It's really cool.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts

Come on Willy... Pun was intended in my post nothing bad, indeed your post was technically very correct:bigsmile:

I

·
0 Posts

I cant wait for these to be tested! I wonder if the black ti cone affects ts parameters for the 2000 vs the aluminum cone?

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts

I took some quick FR measurements before I hit the pillow.

Here's the 18" LMS-5400, straight out of the box, near field frequency response. I have to say it's easily the flattest I've ever measured (among these high-excursion woofers). After some "break in", it may become even flatter. Also shows that the real world inductance is extremely low. For example the TC-2000 has smaller/similar Ls and Lp values, but measures considerably worse when it comes to FR linearity.

I may have a new favourite woofer. :jump:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #96

I may have a new favourite woofer.
Yeah!.. it might only be a dream at this point with the way things are going with TC??:praying:

Looking really good Ilkka. Any chance of posting a pic of the LMS up front?

·
Registered
181 Posts

Regarding those passive radiators. Mine have only single 10" spider; someone over at AVS posted pics of his PRs, and they have dual spiders? :hissyfit: Maybe those are newer ones?

Also how many washers there should be? I have only 10 for each PR. That doesn't make more than ~1170g with the nut. Jai?
Hi Buddy,
I just got your email and sorry I have not been that active at avs or here since I have been so busy with work. So about the PRs, you do need more washers and TC did not send me enough and I had to request more. I stopped at our local Home Depot Store (a common store in the US) and they did not have washers that size.
I requested more from Kyle and he promptly shipped me more. I think you will need a lot more than 10, so bug TC to send you more. With the way things are going with them, I don't know how lucky you will be, but make a big noise as those folks should know better. What the **** while shipping overseas why not send out more washers. I hate it, when such things happen. In the meantime, can you come up with something creative about adding more weights? :nerd: It doesn't have to be washers you see !
I looked at the FR and was not surprised at all. My ears don't lie :). These are killer woofers and that is the very same reason I wanted to fund this measurement and I wanted to see the real deal in your scale. When I see good stuff, I know it and I pull the trigger and so I did at the apt time. WHat an awesome amazing sounding woofer. Please post more measurements soon. Oh, I also think you should keep these woofers and not give them away or sell them. They are one of a kind. JUst remember this lowly guy here, who motivated you on these woofers because of my first DIY subwoofer project.
How is the CE4000 performing?
I have this innate nature in me, where I am good at zeroing in on good stuff. Quality stuff. I have been wrong only very few times. So my gut says, you made a good choice with the CE4000 too.
Look forward for more results !!!
Kind regards,
-Jai
:T

·
Registered
181 Posts

Yes, it was a special deal they gave me. I doubt there are many TC2Ks with Ti cones. :bigsmile:

I like it too, but you should see the LMS...oh man. :R The whole top assembly is like a big nut that attaches to the motor. It's really cool.

I used to lift heavy weights and turning that thing off the cone requires some serious torque. :boxer:
How did you do it? It took me a few tries before I got the sucker off. I had to replace a cone and VC that I misaliged becuase of not using a HP filter.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Ilkka,

"Regarding those passive radiators. Mine have only single 10" spider; someone over at AVS posted pics of his PRs, and they have dual spiders?"

IMO that's a good thing.

A little bit of cone rocking (which dual spiders are meant to prevent) won't hurt anything and the lower the suspension stiffness/Fs of a PR, the better.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Yes, it was a special deal they gave me. I doubt there are many TC2Ks with Ti cones.
Aye! Probably just yours. They teased me about it and I thought I was gonna get one, but nope. Oh well.

like it too, but you should see the LMS...oh man. The whole top assembly is like a big nut that attaches to the motor. It's really cool.
What a monster! :hide:

Here's the 18" LMS-5400, straight out of the box, near field frequency response. I have to say it's easily the flattest I've ever measured (among these high-excursion woofers). After some "break in", it may become even flatter. Also shows that the real world inductance is extremely low. For example the TC-2000 has smaller/similar Ls and Lp values, but measures considerably worse when it comes to FR linearity.
Good god! That is beautiful! :thud:

38mm xmax, good bl, AND a really low real world inductance? Unbelievable. Man, the tests of these badboys are going to be kickass.

Yeah!.. it might only be a dream at this point with the way things are going with TC??:praying:

Looking really good Ilkka. Any chance of posting a pic of the LMS up front?
There is always audiopulse! :sad:

I requested more from Kyle and he promptly shipped me more. I think you will need a lot more than 10, so bug TC to send you more. With the way things are going with them, I don't know how lucky you will be, but make a big noise as those folks should know better. What the **** while shipping overseas why not send out more washers. I hate it, when such things happen. In the meantime, can you come up with something creative about adding more weights? It doesn't have to be washers you see !
He could just use some local washers, eh?

81 - 100 of 312 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.