Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Re: LMS-5400 / RL-p18" buy-in

Wow, wow, wow....wow. I mean...I had my suspicions concerning the LMS, but I honestly didn't think it'd test that well. And just thing, just months ago an 18" was "only" $875 shipped.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts

Breathtaking performance for the LMS-5400, I really wished I played it smart and saved for one of them the first time around and be done with it :bigsmile:

Too bad they're not available anymore :(

·
Registered
181 Posts

I am not surprised at all.
Awesome work Ilkka. Can't wait to see the outdoor measurements. I guess the skeptics may start believing my words now about how good this woofer sounds. And for those who waited and doubted too much, too sad and for those who bought on time :T.
:yay:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts

Looking back at how TC Sounds released and advertised this woofer, I think they really missed the target. Had they merely done a FR and THD test akin to yours Ilkka, just about every DIY'er willing to spend up to $1000 would have bought one....or two. That thing is amazing. I'm just baffled now though about how easy it would have been for them to sell a ton more. Yeah yeah, people will say that DIY'ers are a very small percentage of their business, but with this driver being so clearly superior to anything else out there, again, I can see EVERY enthusiast buying one. They'd have sold at least 75x what they did going about things they way they have :dontknow:

·
Registered
521 Posts

That thing is amazing. I'm just baffled now though about how easy it would have been for them to sell a ton more. Yeah yeah, people will say that DIY'ers are a very small percentage of their business, but with this driver being so clearly superior to anything else out there, again, I can see EVERY enthusiast buying one. They'd have sold at least 75x what they did going about things they way they have
\

I agree that a FR/THD like Ilkka has done here would've done a whole lot as far as "selling" the 5400.

But I think you're forgetting that TC Sounds had no real problem selling them. They actually sold out of them long before they sold out of their much cheaper offerings. The problem they had was building enough of them.

K

·
0 Posts

Breathtaking performance for the LMS-5400, I really wished I played it smart and saved for one of them the first time around and be done with it :bigsmile:

Too bad they're not available anymore :(

Why not organize a group buy?

From TCSounds website:

"Most of our OEM manufacturing still occurs in the US. We generally cater to high end customers seeking nothing less than the absolute world’s best performance design, and execution criteria. TC Sounds gladly takes the challenge of designing and creating the finest audio solutions available for virtually any application.

...Prototypes can often be built and delivered within weeks with few changes. Minimum quantities start at generally no less than 25 units for smaller subwoofers and 10 units for large subwoofers."

·
Registered
521 Posts

Sure, they "sold out" of them, but that could mean they only made 50 - just don't know.
For much of the short lifespan the 5400 had, it wasn't even in stock. When it was first released, it had the regular Alu cone (shortly). Thats no good. Then they switched to Ti (clear coat), but their Ti cone source was having trouble making them without visual defects. Then they started powder coating them black. By that time, the most recent runs of 5400s were put together and promptly sold out. Then TC restructured and ended their online direct business. There wasn't a moment when they could even build 25 or 50x what they did, let alone sell more than that.

But hey...it happens. At least the 5400 will return relatively unchanged as the LMS-Ultra at Audiopulse. We just don't know when it will be available, where it will be available, and for how much.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Looking back at how TC Sounds released and advertised this woofer, I think they really missed the target. Had they merely done a FR and THD test akin to yours Ilkka, just about every DIY'er willing to spend up to $1000 would have bought one....or two. That thing is amazing. I'm just baffled now though about how easy it would have been for them to sell a ton more. Yeah yeah, people will say that DIY'ers are a very small percentage of their business, but with this driver being so clearly superior to anything else out there, again, I can see EVERY enthusiast buying one. They'd have sold at least 75x what they did going about things they way they have :dontknow:
interesting you say this Steve...good to hear you change your tune. :clap: I guess it took Ilkka's measurements to prove to you why I was sackriding this driver over and over again since last year way before I did the two towers.

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts

Hmmm... okay, so audio pulse has now almost the whole TC-Sounds lineup. I wonder how expensive the drivers will be? :sneeky:
LMS ultra 18" for car audio(audio pulse) :scared: $ 2999 MSRP:eek:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

Rodny works at CKR, in Montgomery, Alabama. CKR is an automotive retail and install shop. Some of you may remember he helped me build my behemoth sub and did the IB makeover.

I have a feeling they won't be selling too many of those.

·
Registered
127 Posts

:unbelievable:

Wow!

*shakes head in disbelief*

"Looking back at how TC Sounds released and advertised this woofer, I think they really missed the target. Had they merely done a FR and THD test akin to yours Ilkka, just about every DIY'er willing to spend up to $1000 would have bought one....or two. That thing is amazing. I'm just baffled now though about how easy it would have been for them to sell a ton more. Yeah yeah, people will say that DIY'ers are a very small percentage of their business, but with this driver being so clearly superior to anything else out there, again, I can see EVERY enthusiast buying one. They'd have sold at least 75x what they did going about things they way they have "

Seriously. They talked it up about how superior the LMS tech was on this thing and just a few graphs to back that claim up sure would have put more sales on their (TCSounds) table. Its pretty sad they way things are now. Well, is the Audiopulse version much different from this one? Other than the blue instead of red cast frame? T/S specs wise?

I have still want these things. Oh wells...

·
Registered
75 Posts

Not to be a wet blanket, but is there perhaps excessive enthusiasm considering the level at which these tests were done?

Ilkka, roughly what was the max excursion seen in this test?

"When it was first released, it had the regular Alu cone (shortly). Thats no good."

How so? For the same mass, an aluminum cone is stiffer (higher breakup freq) and 35 times higher thermal conductivity than titanium.

·
Registered
127 Posts

How so? For the same mass, an aluminum cone is stiffer (higher breakup freq) and 35 times higher thermal conductivity than titanium.
Really? Im not saying I know everything but I thought it was the other way around. Not so? Well, if thats the case. Im glad my 18's have anodized aluminum cones. :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

Not to be a wet blanket, but is there perhaps excessive enthusiasm considering the level at which these tests were done?
No not really. The DYIers have known about the LMS-5400 for a long time. It's higher price and limited availability has kept it from becoming the "normal" or "accepted" DYI 18" unit everybody would use.
Yes, it has not yet been fully tested and proven, even though the few box builders who own one have given it rave reviews.
Ilkkas first admittedly superficial testing has confirmed some of the FR and distortion qualities and hint at the power handling capability of the speakers design and build quality. We (the audio community) await more professional quality testing in-box, in LLT, in PR, or even IB. Ilkka will provide some of that professional level testing and will share the data given time and quiet approval.

Ilkka! Will you please hurry up!! :foottap:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts

I knew I should have bought 2 of these:duh: I guess the best that we can hope for now, if the MSRP is $2999, is that they'll be $1499:sick: :gah:

·
Registered
521 Posts

Ilkka, roughly what was the max excursion seen in this test?

"When it was first released, it had the regular Alu cone (shortly). Thats no good."

I don't think it is excessive. The 5400 effectively had lower THD at the 105dB sweep than the SDX had at the 90dB sweep. We'll certainly know more after the next outdoors session. That should be a real hoot. :D

Who said the Alu cone and the Ti cone were the same mass?

Higher breakup freq. shouldn't be a big deal to anyone using a sub, as a sub.

And this is what TC said about it:

"The all new and retooled single dish lightweight titanium cone remains one of the strongest cones we have developed for a high performance driver. Constructed from a single dish, rather than a two piece cone and dust cap assembly, the lightweight titanium diaphragm is inherently stronger and more rigid than anything that stands before it. Titanium is also highly resistance to dents and fatiguing. In fact, when assembled, a small person could easily stand on one of our subwoofers in shoes without leaving a single dent (don't try it!). Furthermore, our ultra durable high gloss clear powder coat protects these dishes against scratches, and even unwanted substances which may spill onto the driver. Between the powder coated titanium and NBR surround, its unlikely you'll ever damage the visible parts of your driver for as long as you own it."

If the TC Forums weren't shut down I could find the posts where Kyle talked more in depth about the switch to Ti.

And when i said "no good" keep in mind I was referring to the older TC Alu cones. They made a switch sometime between las fall and now, to a stiffer, more improved Alu cone.

121 - 140 of 312 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.