Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This odyssey of putting in a dedicated home theater has confirmed something that I suspected for years and what my wife has known even longer..... I am a dumb . A real idiot.

I can' t take it anymore....I need to tap out..

I am ready to put the components together and press the start button but will do the one smart thing throughout this entire ordeal....Hire someone to do it for me.

Can anyone recommend someone to help me out? thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Can we be of help from a distance? What sort of gear do you want help with Receiver connections?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can we be of help from a distance? What sort of gear do you want help with Receiver connections?

Many thanks, but I am hoping to have someone set it up properly. Doesn't the projector and speakers need to be calibrated??? Physically set up properly? If it is not difficult to do I can give it a whirl but for some reason thought it needed a professional touch to be done right

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Many thanks, but I am hoping to have someone set it up properly. Doesn't the projector and speakers need to be calibrated??? Physically set up properly? If it is not difficult to do I can give it a whirl but for some reason thought it needed a professional touch to be done right
Well, "need" is a funny word. One man's "need" is another man's "don't even think about it."
So yes, if you want an accurate display, you should calibrate it or have it calibrated. I have similar thoughts WRT the speakers/receiver/acoustics.

All of this can certainly be DIY, and we have experts who can help. If you want to do it right, you'll invest some time and a little money (perhaps as much money as having someone in to do it) but then you'll have learned a lot and might save the cost next time around (some people touch up the calibration on their displays every year or 6 mos, some people tweak their audio/acoustics every so often, or when they buy new gear...)

Of course, the choice is yours.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
What stage are you at with the hooking up? do you have things running yet or do we need to start from the beginning with hooking up the receiver to the speakers etc?
Have a look here first then if you need more info look at this post as well.
I am sure we can walk you through this one step at a time. Dont get yourself overwhelmed its not really that difficult.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What stage are you at with the hooking up? do you have things running yet or do we need to start from the beginning with hooking up the receiver to the speakers etc?
Have a look here first then if you need more info look at this post as well.
I am sure we can walk you through this one step at a time. Dont get yourself overwhelmed its not really that difficult.

Wow, this is great info. thanks. I couldn't even read it all as I am at work but will dive into it later... Where I'm at right now is the carpet, GIK panels and Carada screen go in this week. there is no in wall wiring (it will sit in the open face crown molding). Then I need to mount the Epson 1080p home cinema projector and connect the SVS 5.1 to the Onkyo 876 and hook up the samsung blue ray player and cable box and then set up a universal remote. Oh, and I think I should buy a conditioner...I remember hearing about that in the past.... Its supposed to be a really good surge protector or something... Is there anything else to be cognizant of?? :help:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Dont waist your money on a power conditioner. simply make sure you have two dedicated 15amp circuits for your equipment and buy a trip lite isobar for each circuit they have noise filters for each plug and have a Ultimate Lifetime Insurance on equipment plugged into them.

When your ready to install the equipment just give us a holler and someone will walk you through the steps to hook everything up properly.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
If you are looking for an installer, best Buy is kind of a safe bet. I haven't heard too many horror stories, and they are fully licensed. Don't know what the comparative cost would be to...

...an independent home theater contractor. Your local yellow pages/google may list a few.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
If you're looking for a calibrator, THX website lets you search for THX certified people in your area. Since you'll probably want the most help with the Projector, look for their Video certification on people.
Another place to look is ISF. They also train people in color science, and their website has a similar search function. I prefer the THX training course, as unlike ISF, THX requires people to demonstrate an ability to do the calibration. ISF focuses more on the science.
But just because these people passed the courses doesn't mean you can hire them blindly. Interview them the same as you would any contractor.

Or again, you could let us help you do it yourself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All you guys are AWESOME. I wish you could all come over for Thanksgiving and a cold beer....

I'd have to put you to work of course.... No sense wasting all that talent.

Happy Bird Day boys and thanks again for all the help and support

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I went to THX to find a local guy. Shot him an e-mail and this is what I got:

"Yes, we can do that…

Do you have a control system now?

We only use the MX-850 or Crestron control systems

The Control system defines the experience in many ways and is a big part of the setup.

What is your screen aspect ratio?

What is make and model of the projector and receiver?

What are you using for sources?

Is the equipment installed and working properly now? If so and you require only a basic calibration we may be a able to be done in 1 day

If we are installing the equipment, setting it up and calibrating it I will take a few days"

At $85 an hour I figure this guy would cost me $1500-$1800. If it will take a THX certifieed professional 3 days to do this how could I expect to do it myself? OR...is this guy sensing a sucker?

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
The control system is adding the majority of the cost (if included, otherwise add $1k+). Trade that for a harmony remote, and you should find the quote more palatable.

Simply hanging a projector (assuming electric is already done), running cable, calibrating display and speakers, should take no more than 8 hours (I've had it done in a 70', 100 seat theater in 6hr).

As for $85/hour, that's about right, plus the cost of any supplies they use, cables, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Sorry if I missed something but does your system need to be installed as in running wires thru walls and installing speakers in walls or do you have the room that you just want to set things up so they look nice and work properly. I could think of better things to do with 1800 bucks. I set up my room a little at a time and did the best I could and it came out fine. After it was setup I hired a guy to come and calibrate it all and I paid $150 for a couple of hours of his time. Good luck with what you decide and like others here have stated....You can do it...........:wave:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The control system is adding the majority of the cost (if included, otherwise add $1k+). Trade that for a harmony remote, and you should find the quote more palatable.

Why would a remote cost $1000+? That seems wicked expensive

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Why would a remote cost $1000+? That seems wicked expensive
its what I call a high end remote but in my opinion Harmony will do just as well and wont break the bank.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
MX-850 = [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Remote-Control-MX-850-Aeros/dp/B0007N5XPW[/ame]

Crestron is the fancy touch screen you see in the magazines and costs much more.

Harmony remote will get you the functionality of the mx-850 for about half price if you shop around and can program it yourself.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Well, I've been to some training classes that pros attend, and frankly I'm apalled at how much they charge to program remotes.
Generally, the Harmony remotes work great, and are very easy for an owner to program.
for strictly a video calibration, I would expect someone to be able to give you a flat rate based on what they're going to do, not an hourly rate. A good one will walk you through what can/should be done, and will gladly have you sit next to him as he's explaining everything he's going and why.

It's possible the one guy you contacted happens to be a custom installer who's used to doing high-end and/or whole house systems. There's no way a video cal by an experienced pro should take all day, let alone multiple days. Yes, if you do it yourself, it will take longer as you'll be posting questions which might not get answered for an hour or two, but yes, it IS something you can do yourself, with our help.

If you prefer to hire a pro, I suggest giving/getting more details from this person, as well as calling a few others. As I said in a previous post, treat this as you would hiring any contractor, never get just one quote.

That being said, it's not uncommon for a COMPLETE calibration, including video, audio, bias lighting, remote programming, etc, to take 2 days and $2k. But the preliminary sections such as hookup are almost certainly within your abilities, again with our help

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Well, I've been to some training classes that pros attend, and frankly I'm appalled at how much they charge to program remotes.
There was an anecdote retold on TWIT a few weeks back that went something like this...

A man saw Salvador Dali, approached him, and asked him if he would create a quick sketch. Dali took a napkin, sketched out a quick, yet artful rendition, and handed it to the man.

"That will be $1 million," Dali said.

"What!?", the man exclaimed. "It only took you 30 seconds to draw that!"

Dali responded, "Yes, 30 seconds to create the sketch, but a lifetime to learn how to draw like that."

---------------

I'm not saying that the complexity of programing a remote warrants the charge, I'm saying that the programmer has knowledge that the client does not, can put that knowledge into practice, and has every right to charge for the practice of that knowledge whatever the market will support. There is no moral imperative to charge less.

If you want to save a little money, see if Monet will work for less, or if you are willing, save a lot by learning to paint yourself.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts