Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Where would be the best location (starting point) for installing ceiling traps to help with first reflections? As a general rule where to start? about even with the side wall panels? Half way between me and the speakers? More to front/rear of the area between me and the speakers???

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Draw a diagonal line from each seat to each speaker. Go back 1/2 the distance of that line and that's the reflection. This assumes speaker height is approximately head height.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bryan,
Ok that seems easy enough, now once I get back half way down that line should I be on the line or just use the line as a measuring tool? In other words where on the ceiling do I want the 244 traps? If put on the line at the half way point they will be off to either side quite a bit, or just move them towards the center of the room staying at the half way mark of the line?

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
By the time you mark all 3 front speakers to each seat, you'll not have much choice by the time you try to cover all the points.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Draw a diagonal line from each seat to each speaker. Go back 1/2 the distance of that line and that's the reflection. This assumes speaker height is approximately head height.
Ok what happens if my ears are about 6-7inches lower than the tweeters?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the time you mark all 3 front speakers to each seat, you'll not have much choice by the time you try to cover all the points.
Only one seat so I am thinking of drawing a line from the top left corner through the bottom right corner of the trap, then putting that line in line with the line from the speakers to the listening position.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
If the ears are slightly lower, the point will be slightly closer to the seats. With 6", won't likely move more than an inch or 2

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Couldn't he get a friend to hold up a small mirror on the ceiling & move it aroung untill he sees the target speaker from his seating position? Seems like that would be easier than all the measuring.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Couldn't he get a friend to hold up a small mirror on the ceiling & move it aroung untill he sees the target speaker from his seating position? Seems like that would be easier than all the measuring.
Yes I could have but, I know where the first reflection point is for the most part. I was just trying to go about getting the max out of the traps by means of measurement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts