Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Logic can lead you anywhere, depending on the assumptions. All conclusions, opinions, and perspectives are based upon the prior knowledge, beliefs, and underlying assumptions that are often simply accepted without question. These are great examples of how a statement taken as fact, then applied out of the context can be used to generate the desired logical outcome. It IS logical IF you accept the premise, and the unstated assumptions along the way.

Many of the debates that we find in the A/V business revolve around opposing underlying assumptions, with far less testing of the limits of the viability than needed to come to the conclusions that many reach. Many of the problems that people have trouble solving also have their root in faulty assumptions. We see it all the time in service. We operate on limited information and make assumptions constantly. When we fail to test them, it can often create more headaches. The real problem is when someone is incapable of understanding that everything that he/she believes about a particular matter is based upon some set of assumptions.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
...But I think I’d agree that doing it electronically with surround sound is a better method that gets much more realistic results.

I'd say predictable, rather than realistic. I don't think that realism is very easy to define. Otherwise, I agree.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
There is a saying in the service business about which part of the anatomy will be bitten by assumptions that I am sure you are familiar with. When I was a math teacher, I always emphasized the process of solving problems. It was almost always the case that the first step, understanding the problem, was where most students have problems with problem solving. Usually, the issue was with assumtions made that were inconsistent with what is actually the information given. It continues to amaze me how otehrwise intellegent people can get hung up on ideas that are based on assumptions that they don't ever test. It is one of the most basic concepts in logic, mathematics, and philosophy that many never really get. The best service techs definitely do...or at least keep learning the lesson repeatedly.:innocent:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts