Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,316 Posts

Logic, Semantics, Conclusions and Philosophy
Fast forward to present day. A new audio company’s researchers discover that the best instrumental sources of live music have a quality called “harmonized resonance”. And further, this resonance is “perfectly balanced”. So, a “new approach to the treatment of resonance” is realized by treating it as “an essential element that adds warmth and fullness to the sound”.
“Best instrumental sources” – what on earth does that mean? That some musical instruments are better than others? :huh: Sure, all instruments have “resonances,” but the only job of a sound system is to accurately reproduce what the instrument sounds like, plain and simple. For a sound system to try to mimic the resonances of musical instruments is plain silly.

What do BOTH companies (incorrectly) conclude? That the reproducing system (the home stereo) must have the same characteristics as the original event (the live concert). This seems to make sense at first glance. Shouldn’t we pursue as a reference in our home listening the original source? But the flaw lies in bad logic. The two events have VASTLY different physical characteristics. Production of sound is VERY different that reproduction. In fact, in many ways they are diametrically opposed.
An excellent response to those misguided people who think a sound system should “convey to the listener at home what is heard at a live performance,” to paraphrase one notable contributor on the Audyssey discussion thread.

That’s one reason I’m not big on acoustical treatments. An overly-dampened room as about as far from a performance venue as you can get.

What do BOTH companies (incorrectly) conclude?...
... In the first example, a home speaker’s dispersion should have nothing at all to do with the original event.
I wouldn’t necessarily say that Bose’s philosophy is totally incorrect. If a speaker designs-in reflection as a means to bring the live experience closer to home, what’s wrong with that? (That’s not to dismiss other problems with Bose designs, of course.) After all, other companies attempt to do something similar with bipolar speakers (Def Tech for instance). But I think I’d agree that doing it electronically with surround sound is a better method that gets much more realistic results.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 1 of 1 Posts