Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Loking to Install projector in basement with 7 foot ceilings but Best Buy said not a good idea

12K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  jefny 
#1 ·
Just bought a home and not really too experienced with projector screens (have a 65 inch flat screen in home now)

Best Buy Magnolia came over today to take a look and they did not recommend it due to the fact the ceilings were so low but recommended an 80 inch TV.

Reason being is that if someone stood up then the head might get in the way of the screen and they seemed really against the screen so i did some searching and seemed this was the right place to ask the question

Is it possible, should i do it or go with the TV which i really didn't want.

Thank you so much in advance!

#33 ·
This is my second 55s. I had a bad accident and had to buy another projector. I had to choose between the 60, 55 and 40. I was able to get a really good deal on a new 55es. Plus i already had the original spare lamp and now I have two. I figured I loved the picture and with the lamps I would be good until 4k is more reasonable.

#34 ·
Now I'm trying to decide whether I should get a Oppo 103D. It's got some features I want and I've read that the Darbee processing in conjunction with that of the Sony, when used sparingly, makes a noticeable difference in picture quality. My only concern is when their new players come out (whenever that may be) I'll be back to having an outdated player.

#36 · (Edited)
Finally got the HW40ES projector and Chief RPAU mounted. Took a shot of the mount a little closer to show people a reference with the pop can at how far down it mounts when flush mounting. Exactly a pop can width :)

This is my 7 ft ceiling height set up. Exciting news as my Seymour 120" retractable AT screen may be ready to pick up later this week. For reference, it will span to the outside edges of my speakers. Kind of a narrow room but it's cozy and you will really get that "right there" feeling. Viewing distance is 13 ft and throw distance is 16 feet.

New rack mounts for some equipment will be in tomorrow so I should have my equipment rack near complete as soon as I get a couple more custom Middle Atlantic shelves made for the PS4 and cable box.

Attachments

#37 ·
I am sure you are going to be loving the new screen. I sit 12' from our 195" Seymour AV AT screen, and it is great!

#39 ·
Nope...it is fully within your field of view. 15' wide. I am using the XD material.

This was taken with my smartphone while the SB was on...not paused.

#40 ·
The only problem with a projector involves something called offset (especially if there is no lens shift). When I ceiling mounted a projector (ceiling height 7'6") my old Infocus model had an offset where the projector lens had to be at least 12" above the top of the screen but I didn't have he room with my 106" screen. The result was the projected image wasn't a perfect rectangle and had to be adjusted. My new Sony 40ES projector has lens shift and so the offset issue didn't exist. Other than this offset issue with projectors that don't have lens shift you shouldn't have a real issue especially if you ceiling mount.

JEF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.