Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I have been reading through the forums for several months and finally decided to try REW V5. I have a small home studio in an odd shaped basement room. Treatment is pretty much out of the question (for now) as I have a lot of wife convincing to do.

I had seriously thought of buying IK Miltimedias ARC setup, but figured, REW is cheaper and would let me experiment for free. I was hoping to at least set up a master EQ VST in my DAW that I would leave on while mixing.

I guess I'm just looking for feedback as to how to interpret my results (do they even make sense?) and get some general feedback. I meticulously followed the procedure so here are the graphs.

Thanks in advance.
Rick

PS: I use an Alesis Mastercontrol for interface/soundcard and the measurements were done with a Radio Shack SPL meter. My calibration curves for both looked good (at least compared to the examples)
Here is the SPL curve 15-300khz smoothed with 1/3
Text Line Plot Diagram Font

Here are the other curves except the waterfall. That was 201 kb which was 1 kb too big - Dooooh
Text Plot Line Slope Wave

White Black Line

Text Plot Line Diagram Font

Plot Text Colorfulness Line Diagram

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The measurements look good, so looks like you got everything set up right. Aside from the resonance just above 30Hz the low end looks well behaved, but you may want to play with positioning to see if the dip between 100 and 150Hz can be filled in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback John, I really appreciate it. It was a real pleasure to work with the software and a great sense of accomplishment for a slow reader like me! :)

If I could ask, I find I have a tough time with my mixes, I get a lot of low end mud that takes a lot of tweaking to fix generally by listening to the mixes on several different stereos, car etc. Is that because of the dip you mention and then I overcompensate with eq?

I guess I will need some bass traps to tame it as you say?
Thanks, again
Rick

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
I get a lot of low end mud that takes a lot of tweaking to fix generally by listening to the mixes on several different stereos, car etc. Is that because of the dip you mention and then I overcompensate with eq?
Could well be, the dip is in a prime spot for that. If you find you are adding significant EQ (more than a couple of dB here or there) you should probably be suspicious of the cause.

If your treatment options are very limited then experiment with positioning of yourself and the speakers, if you can get any treatment in there it would most likely help, but you need quite a lot to have a big impact in that 100Hz area whereas moving a foot or two can make a dramatic difference. One way to get instant feedback on that is to set up the signal generator to play "Pink PN" and use the RTA window to watch the response as you move the mic and speakers around, make sure the window is set to "Rectangular".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the advice John.

Part of my problem is just too many dam EQ's on my stuff. I use a VG-99 for guitar which has a main EQ, a sub EQ, EQ per patch and also amp sim EQ and COSM guitar Sim EQ. That into my DAW (Sonar8.5) which has a track eq, plus usually a master bus EQ. Then I mix it all down EQ some more and then I usually just sit there and sob to myself quietly!

I did some more testing yesterday using an MXL990 condenser mic. I found the frequency respose curve and put that into REW as a cal file after reading some of the fine posts and advice in this forum. Would you mind giving a few comments about these. I did a full spectrum (15-20,000hz) and broke it up as left speaker with sub, right speaker with sub and then all speakers. I have a pair of Alesis M1Acticve520 studio monitors and an M-audio 8" powered sub-base (Studiophile SBX). I know 8" is small and this thing is not made anymore, but it does sound great and adds some decent low end to the Alesis monitors.

Thanks Rick
Text Line Purple Plot Pattern

Text Line Plot Pattern Font

Text Line Blue Plot Font

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The sub level looks a bit high, especially given the peak around 60Hz and the overall dip from 100 to 300. Certainly worth moving the sub about to see if it evens out the area below 100Hz and getting it equidistant from the speakers could hep the dip at the transition between sub and main on the left speaker. The left speaker looks to suffer more from reflections, is the room somewhat asymmetric? For more knowledgeable advice on what you might do with the space it would be worth posting in the Home Audio Acoustics forum, the area up to 300Hz could certainly be helped by whatever treatments you might be able to accommodate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts