Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I picked up an old optimus pro-sw14 passive home subwoofer for cheap. The subwoofer is junk, but the enclosure is in good condition. I bought it with the intent of possibly replacing the subwoofer and powering it with my bash 500 plate amp. The dimensions are 15.25in x 16in x 17in, with a 3in port. Internal volume is roughly 1.7cuft. I'm looking for suggestions of possible 12in subs that will work in the enclosure but most importantly pair nicely with my amp. I will be using it 70% home theater and 30% music. Any suggestions? Thanks much!

Also, I just picked up the Andrew Jones Pioneer speaker set, so it'd be nice to find a sub to complement those.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I bought a ScanSpeak Discovery 30W/4558T 12" Subwoofer from Madisound to use in the car back in the fall. Very good T/S parameters that should do a nice job in a sealed enclosure. You could cover the port hole and go sealed fairly easily.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...s/scanspeak-discovery-30w/4558t-12-subwoofer/.

I am sure that one of our members will be happy to model it for you (I don't have the software) and predict performance with your amp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I modified the port (i.e. increase port length), would that increase my options? Or is the box simply too small for a decent ported setup?

·
Registered
355 Posts
1.7 cu ft is pretty small for a ported setup on most subs designed for home use. An example is my buddy has Dayton 12" HO's and his enclosure per sub is like 3-4 cu ft ported.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Even with lengthening the port to lower the tuning, the diameter of the port will restrict your options. The port is too small and port noise will be a problem. 1.7 cu.ft. can work but it will take a couple of Passive Radiators and a driver that requires a small box. It all depends on how much you want to put into this.

Another issue is the Bash 500, if it came from Parts Express it will depend which one you have. The older ones had a subsonic filter at 30 hz, the new ones are supposed to be at 18 hz. If you have the 30 hz model it will need to resistors swapped out to change the hi-pass filter to a lower frequency so it can work properly with low tuning ported subs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts