Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to locate a bracket similar to this one for mounting my Faital Horns to my La Scalas. I know I have seen and possibly even owned one in the past but I can't remember what they were used on. Maybe automotive? I just remember they were a cast metal. Does anyone know what they are used on? Where I might find one?

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link... I will keep looking. I know I could make one out of maybe a 4x8 and cut it with a jigsaw too. I wish that I knew where it was I had used these before.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
From the picture it looks like a casting that was made especially for that speaker. Note the Lugs cast into the speaker and the flange on the end of the cone. I believe thats the "mounting system" for that stand.

While the lugs may be threaded it look like a hard place to tighten the screws without an access hole through the flange. I do see something that might be an access hole in the flange, but my eyes sometimes deceive me :)

Going to be hard to find a universal stand that would fit different speakers.

Would vibrations be a factor in how the speaker is mounted?

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The lower cabinet is now 1 1/2" thick plywood, so i don't think vibrations will be an issue. If I can't do it with the curved I might halve to just make a rectangular block that goes straight up with a saddle to grab the horn. Maybe out of some nice wood.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
How good are you at whittling? I would rough saw out a nice piece of wood to the shape you need then use traditional woodworking tools such as a draw knife , chisel and pocket knife to finish shaping it to your disable shape... I think it would look better than just a block shape.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How good are you at whittling? I would rough saw out a nice piece of wood to the shape you need then use traditional woodworking tools such as a draw knife , chisel and pocket knife to finish shaping it to your disable shape... I think it would look better than just a block shape.
A friend of mine told me to get a 6x8 and mark the shape out and he would cut it out on a bandsaw.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
A friend of mine told me to get a 6x8 and mark the shape out and he would cut it out on a bandsaw.

That's a big piece of wood.. When you cut a piece of wood like this you need to watch out for the grain and work with it. By bandsawing out this piece from a big block you will be cutting the curve across the grain in many places and greatly increase the chances it will split as it ages..

I would try to cut this piece from a straight grained 2x4... That would be stronger.. OR you could rip a thinner strip, steam then bend it :)

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a big piece of wood.. When you cut a piece of wood like this you need to watch out for the grain and work with it. By bandsawing out this piece from a big block you will be cutting the curve across the grain in many places and greatly increase the chances it will split as it ages..

I would try to cut this piece from a straight grained 2x4... That would be stronger.. OR you could rip a thinner strip, steam then bend it :)
Could I use 2x6 and then glue them together to make a 4x6? I need to make it 6" wide to be able to use the drive screw mount.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Could I use 2x6 and then glue them together to make a 4x6? I need to make it 6" wide to be able to use the drive screw mount.
Most 2 x 6's in today's dimensional lumber is 1 1/2" thick by 5 1/2" wide. Only rough sawn lumber, such as full cut rough cedar and some yellow pine timbers are near 2"x 6" size.. Those woods are not really good enough for what you want.

The problem with cutting this piece out of wood is the grain of the wood will not follow the curve of the stand you wish to make... Here are two pictures where I am trying to show the problem... The outside redline box is the blank of wood and the red line inside the box is the grain direction of the wood. See how parts of the curved section will always have short grain sections.

No matter which way you cut the wood you will always have an area with very short grain and it can break on you over time. Only by steaming the wood and bending it to the curve shape will it be strong.

I think metal is the way to go on this project if you want the curve shape.

Do you have a picture with the dimensions of the piece you need?

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts