Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I have a project I would like a little help with. First off, the sub I am going to use in this build is a pioneer ts-w3002D4, here is a link to the manual for all the parameters. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Unassigned+Content/TS-W3002D2+INSTRUCTION+MANUAL. Ok, next the amp I will be using is the Behringer ep4000, 950wrms @ 4ohms, both channels driven. I feel that this is a good match up and allows room for the addition of another sub later on if need be. My room is approx 12x12, with such a small space I don't have a lot of options for sub placement with the furniture arrangement. I am considering putting this sub behind the couch, but the couch only sits about a foot off the rear wall. Could someone post some ideas for an awesome behind-the-couch box and maybe some graphs? Oh, and the couch is 5ft wide and reclines, so by measuring the max depth/height would need to be 14" or so give or take an inch or two. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
How much money are you going to spend? Can you post a picture of the room? A table/foot rest sub might work for you...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I actually don't have the internet @ home, I'm using the computer @ work. Shhh! That being said, I can't upload a picture. I don't have room for anything like the footrest you suggested, I only have the space behind my couch and maybe an 18x18" area in the corner of the room, per the wife. That is really it. I like the idea of the long box behind the couch, but I have concerns about using a rounded port (noise) and having the port directly behind the sub, which would really be my only option. I'm not sure I really have the expertise in woodworking to try a slotted port yet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yes. I chose this sub because I have two of them in my car and I love the way they sound. Granted this sub will sound different in my living room, but I also know that they can handle some serious abuse without going up in smoke. I used to compete locally and was pretty hard on my car audio equipment, the older model pioneers (TS-w3004SPL) were the only subs that could take the punishment I was dishing out. Most other subs would eventually blow the tensile leads off or burn them in half. The price wasn't bad either @ $130 with free shipping. My 3004's are still going strong 5 yrs later and I like it LOUD.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
This sub likes a small box. 3 cu.ft. tuned to 20 hz will get you low end extension for HT. Wired for a 2 ohm load the sub will handle 700 watts. A hi-pass filter at 18 hz is a must or the sub will bottom out. It will need a slot port 2" high x 10.5" wide x 43" long. You'll have to use the Cabinet Calculator to see if this will fit in the box design you have in mind.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/enclosure-volume-calculator/

Pioneer.JPG

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was wondering, would there be a slightly higher frequency that I could tune the box and still achieve the extension, but have enough roll off to not need a hpf?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The box design looks simple enough, it would definitely work for my purpose. As far as a hpf goes, do those inline fmods work? I could get one of those that crossover @ 20hz, but I'm sure an electronic would work better. The budget is pretty tight, so I'm trying to be conservative. FOR NOW.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again Mike, you have been a great help. I had actually been looking for one of those, but couldn't seem to find one for sale anywhere. I think I will go with this box plan, when I start my build hopefully I can upload a few pics for everyone to see.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
First off I want to thank Mike P. for being so helpful, I took the dimensions he gave me and ran with them. Secondly, I want to apologize for the poor quality of these photos. I never claimed to be a photographer after all. I spent the last two days working in 30 min to 1 hr shifts during what has been the hottest days of the year so far (90+ temps), with nothing more than a few cordless power tools, a carpenter's square and lots of determination.
100_0825.JPG
100_0826.JPG
100_0829.JPG
My boys were a great help too.
100_0832.JPG
I will be putting some sort of finish on this box per the wife, but personally I think it is fine. Nobody can see it unless you peer behind the couch. What the wife says, the wife gets. She wasn't real keen on this whole project, in fact she was somewhat against it. After hearing a few explosions she completely changed her mind. I think it is actually tuned lower than I had anticipated, I didn't take into account the polyfill causing the speaker to "see" a bigger box, could be wrong though.
100_0841.JPG
100_0842.JPG
Oh, and my tv isn't crooked, just the photographer.
100_0843.JPG
While probably not the best looking build on hts (by far) it does the trick.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes I'm using the Behringer. I'm running the sub in series (8 ohm) and have the amp bridged. While I think it sounds really good, I know I can't possibly be getting all I can out of that amp. The gain is around 3/4 on the 4000 and sub level is centered on the receiver and the cone barely even moves. While a good explosion or something similar does rock the whole room, it seems like something is still off. I'm using an rca to xlr and can't help but wonder if my sub out just doesn't have enough balls to get the amp where it needs to be. I have a very slight ground loop issue I'm working through as well. It is basically inaudible until the gain on the amp is just above 3/4, which is why I haven't turned it up higher. Honestly, I don't think I should need to. I really haven't had enough time to play with this toy yet, but I am open to any suggestions.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts