Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked all over the site, but my ignorance is hindering my ability to understand which receiver I need.

Anyway, just recently bought a new house and am trying to get my home theater set up. I've got an old Sony receiver that doesn't have the features I need (HDMI, possibly CPU in, other stuff that I don't understand)

My basic setup is:

Klipsch Quintet Speakers
Klipsch Synergy 10 Subwoofer
Sony PS3
Sony 46" 1080 LCD TV
Directv HD-DVR

I had my builder run some pipe in the walls from the receiver location to the tv location for that clean look (so basically I'd like to run just one hdmi cable from the receiver to the tv).

I've also got speaker wire running from the receiver location to two speakers on the back porch, so I want something that can run power to those speakers as well.

The PC-In thing looks like something that I would use.

Anyway, I apologize in advance for the incompetecny. Can someone recommend a reciever between the $400 - $900 range. I was looking at the Onkyo 607/707/807 and liked the features of the 807, but maybe someone can give me a different point of view or tell me what I need for my set-up.

I appreciate any advice and please keep in dumbed down for my sake.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Hello hart11b and welcome to the Shack, for someone who says that they do not know too much about the subject you are not doing too bad, and really do know what you want from the above post :)

The Onkyo receivers are an excellent choice offering everything you could possibly want from an AV amp, please have a look at this thread Official Onkyo Thread it lists all the features available for the 807.

Other options could possibly come from the likes of Sony and Pioneer or even Yamaha (for more money) but for VFM the Onkyo's are very hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I agree, Welcome aboard!

The Onkyo's are hard to beat for price and features, The 807 is a good receiver however I might suggest upping your budget so that you can get the Onkyo 876. The 876 is by far the best receiver out for under $1000 and has great power and video processing capabilities.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Welcome. One big advantage you have is that you are using Klipsch Speakers. The advantage is they are ridiculously efficient meaning they require very little amplifier power to play at theater levels.

This gives you flexibility in your choice of receiver choice. What will and can make a difference is using Room Correction. Onkyo offers Audyssey MultEQ on most of their receivers and it is truly one of the best Room Correction solutions out there. I would also recommend a THX Certified model because of their Surround Modes and quality.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I will look into the 876.

This is a great website that you have. There is so much info here....again thanks for the help!

·
Banned
601 Posts
Hi Hart, and welcome to the Shack.

The Onkyo TX-NR807 is a good choice, it has 'Network' features, and it will drive your Klipsch speakers easily.
It is THX Select2 Plus certified and has Audyssey MultEQ for Auto Room Calibration.
Here's a review of it: http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/onkyo_tx-nr807_av_receiver
It was selling for $699.99 at Accessories4Less (reconditioned), last time I checked, and with 1 year warranty.
Here: http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...Certified-7.2-Channel-Network-Receiver/1.html

If you want a receiver with more power (THX Ultra2 Plus certified), a much better video processor, a better Auto Room EQ (Audyssey MultEQ XT) and just simply out of this world performer with superb value, don't look any further than the Onkyo TX-SR876, but without the Network features (so you cannot stream stuff from your computer, not a big deal in my book).
Last time I checked, the 876 (Silver model) was $799.99 at Tiger Direct.com (brand new!). Comes with a two-year warranty.
Here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5376895&CatId=4586

Just for a glimpse on the Onkyo TX-SR876, have a look to this review:
@ http://www.avguide.com/review/tested-onkyo-tx-sr876-thx-ultra2-plus-certified-71-channel-av-receiver

Happy hunting,
Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts