Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not really a newbie, but I am interested in building myself a new sub for my HT.

The room is in the basement, concrete floor (w/ carpet over), and drywalled walls.

What I am looking for is a box behind the finished wall (where the plasma hangs), firing throught the wall.

I have looked at the IB setups.......while nice, way out of my budget, and out of my wife's approval.

The sound I am looking for is very deep, moderatly loud, and very clean. I am an old car stereo installer, so I had some thoughts on what I'm looking for.....but I need some guidance.

I was considering two 15" in their own sealed boxes, firing at each other....the space between would be the 'port' into the HT room. 15's would be much too large though, and really out of my price range.

So.....I need some guidance. Looking for something with the above sound.....probably going to run it on a plate amp (due to cost), and of course I'll build my own box (used to build high end custom car boxes).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Robbie

·
Registered
393 Posts
How big is your room?

Your description of your planned install:
I have looked at the IB setups.......while nice, way out of my budget, and out of my wife's approval.

I was considering two 15" in their own sealed boxes, firing at each other....the space between would be the 'port' into the HT room. 15's would be much too large though, and really out of my price range

Robbie
Sounds suspiciously like an IB to me, if you just forget to put the box around the driver. :devil: What is the other room that will have this contraption in it? If you're basically building a manifold to attach 2 sealed boxes to, you could save the cost of the MDF you would have used to make the boxes and just go IB. "Look dear, I saved $40 by not building those boxes!"

I'd suggest building a sealed box to put one of your chosen drivers in to do some testing, so you can find the best place to chop holes in your wall. Or use whatever sub you have now. Maybe you already have a sub in a good location.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That scenario is about as perfect as it gets for a folded horn. Horns are very inexpensive, as the most you'd ever need is one fifteen driven with minimal power; I personally have one eight and 100 watts driving my HT to +110dB levels. Their only disadvantage is size, which can be a WAF issue in a typical livingroom.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Hey Rob,
I'm a Louisville guy myself:bigsmile:. Could you describe how much space you have for the SW enclosure? Could you post up a pic or diagram of the room showing proposed location of the SW that'd help us out a lot. Also your available budget for the SW system will keep things in perspective.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I imagine a folded horn would need to be corner loaded at achieve the low end output.
That's only a problem if you live in a round house. :R
My Tuba HT has 94dB sensitivity at 20Hz with wall placement. In a corner it's 100dB.

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
I agree with tenzip, this does look like a good app for an infinite baffle. The reason you see so many drivers in most IB installs is to generate extra output. You have stated that you want very clear, and deep bass, but output is not a priority. IB will yeild approx the same max SPL as a sealed design but with a much more linear response on the deep end and because you don't have a box resisting the movement of the driver you need less power to drive it.

All of this boils down to great sound, less power needed, no boxes to build and potentially no eq for flat response. I guess the only question is what's on the other side of that wall that would rule out an IB?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the quick replies....

The other side of the wall is the unfinished part of the basement.

My only concern with an IB is cost.....between the number of drivers and the amp needed to run them....

I have done some research on IBs, and the real minumum is 2-4 depending on size....at at least $150 each, thats a little expensive.

My other thought was a vented box, with the vent going directly into the HT room.....probably one large rectangular vent. I like sealed boxes in car audio, but I'm not opposed to a vented box if it will acheive what I'm looking for.

Robbie

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
An IB will give you the same output as compared to a sealed design with the same number of drivers. No extra cost involved unless you are looking for more output. 'Bare minimum' in this case is a matter of opinion. As stated in a few posts so far.. IB is in fact the least expensive of your probable designs and IMO the most likely to accomplish your goals.

A vented box will give you more output from the same driver and amp but requires a bit more design and build work. Do you have any drivers in mind? Is this unfinished space sealed off by any chance?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies....
The other side of the wall is the unfinished part of the basement.
My only concern with an IB is cost.....between the number of drivers and the amp needed to run them....
I have done some research on IBs, and the real minumum is 2-4 depending on size....at at least $150 each, thats a little expensive.
I guess I don't get it. You're going to need the drivers and the amp anyway, regardless of what you build, right? I'd start out with an IB. You can box it in later to make sealed, or box it and vent it to make a LLT, or even SLLT. Or go with the folded horn, but, no offense Bill, I don't think that's the best choice.
My other thought was a vented box, with the vent going directly into the HT room.....probably one large rectangular vent. I like sealed boxes in car audio, but I'm not opposed to a vented box if it will acheive what I'm looking for.
Robbie
If you build the type of manifold I think you're describing, you could make it with provision for 1, 2, 3, or 4 drivers, actually, even 5, as only one side of the box will be open to the room. You could start with 1 or 2 drivers, and add more later as the budget allows.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The room isn't 'sealed' per se, but it is seperated by a wall, with a door in it.

I'm only against (not totally, but for now) the IB due the price of drivers. I would rather have one or two drivers getting the most out of them.

Robbie

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
What drivers did you have in mind?

Don't worry we're not trying to push you into an infinite baffle, but it seems as though you may have been mislead elsewhere. I think it's important that you have all of the facts at decision time so that you can make the best choice for your design goals and budget. Extra expense for IB drivers really depends on what drivers you are considering. As with any project, budget and design goals are the controlling factors in design.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Or go with the folded horn, but, no offense Bill, I don't think that's the best choice.
None taken, but what I will say is that I've never encountered anyone who's heard a good folded horn say it wasn't the best bass they've ever heard, while every person I've seen recommend against them has never heard a good one.

·
Registered
393 Posts
None taken, but what I will say is that I've never encountered anyone who's heard a good folded horn say it wasn't the best bass they've ever heard, while every person I've seen recommend against them has never heard a good one.
I should have expanded. I have zero issues with horns, and I have heard good ones. I love my Klipsch, even though I don't have any of their folded horn models (yet). I have also heard good LF horns at a playhouse theater here in Lincoln, now defunct, and they were absolutely spectacluar. They used to have dances/parties to help pay the rent when the play attendance was lacking. Thunderstorms during a play were amazing.
I just am thinking in this particular case, wanting cheap, deep extension into the infrasonic range, that a horn isn't the best choice. If this was for a 2ch system, I'd change my tune, pun intended. And maybe I'm all wet. IANAE, merely enthusiast

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just am thinking in this particular case, wanting cheap, deep extension into the infrasonic range, that a horn isn't the best choice.
Being in my position I can run anything I want to, cost being no object, as I get all my drivers free for the asking. My personal HT uses a single Table Tuba, which I built for a sum total cost of less than $100. That includes the driver, which I paid for. Not only do horns deliver higher sensitivity and cleaner output than any other alignment, dB for dB they are the least expensive option from the standpoint of build cost.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts