Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built my first sub recently using the TempestX-2 and the 500w HPSA inserted in a ported enclosure.

The issue I'm having is the sub-thump sound. It happens when I first turn the unit on, which I figured is no big deal because the driver is getting it's first jolt of power after lying idle. Unfortunately, that's not the only time it's happening. I run my speakers and sub and receiver anytime the tv is on and periodically throughout the day or evening while watching tv I get the occassional sub-thump.

Any idea why? Is this doing any damage to the driver?

Dan

·
Registered
704 Posts
Sounds to me like a power-on thump from your amplifier. Try setting it to always on rather than auto triggered from the input.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Sounds to me like a power-on thump from your amplifier. Try setting it to always on rather than auto triggered from the input.
Have to agree with Dave. The amp probably has an auto-on feature and when it detects a signal, it gets turned-on (not in a sexy way) and you get that quick driver thump due to a transient during start-up.

Don't use it on auto-detect and it will only do it when you turn the system on. You are not hurting the driver.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

1 - 4 of 4 Posts