Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for alternatives for a slim height HTPC case. Similar in form factor to a DVD player. Building a passively cooled machine based on Micro-ATX or mini-ITX form factor main board. Hardware hasn't been selected yet.

I don't want cheap looking plastic. But, $200 for a Silverstone LC19 case is a little pricey. Trying to find good build quality with a professional looking finish. Hopefully for less. If I need to spend the $200 I will, but, I'd feel easier knowing I've explored alternatives.

Thanks

Ge0

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
A quality alternative to SilveStone is LIAN LI for example the PC-C36 or PC-C37 may fit your needs and you should be able to get one for about $50 less than the SilverStone LC19 but, you'll have to give up some height.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A quality alternative to SilveStone is LIAN LI for example the PC-C36 or PC-C37 may fit your needs and you should be able to get one for about $50 less than the SilverStone LC19 but, you'll have to give up some height.
By giving up height you mean the Lian Li case is taller? Not much of a problem. My current HTPC case is a full height design accomodating full height AGP / PCI cards and an AMD OPTERON processor. Unfortunately this is a little sluggish for todays multi-media content.

I could update my current rig for under $400.

But, for just a few more dollars I'd like to stream-line it if possible. The slim cases seem like a good alternative.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ge0

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Yes, the LIAN LI cases are a bit taller than the SilverStone cases. They are high quality aluminum cases, handcrafted with high quality aluminum sheet material and a nice hair-line brushed anodized aluminum face and 4-1/4" is still pretty slim.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the LIAN LI cases are a bit taller than the SilverStone cases. They are high quality aluminum cases, handcrafted with high quality aluminum sheet material and a nice hair-line brushed anodized aluminum face and 4-1/4" is still pretty slim.
Thanks for the reply. I'll give them a second consideration then. Just trying to avoid the looks of anything "cheap". The Liani Li could be read either way based on pictures. Under $100 sure seems attractive compred to $200+.

Now, if only I could compare each in person. But, that will never happen...

Ge0

·
Registered
10 Posts
slimmer design like the Thermaltake Mozart SX, but I sent two e-mails to ThermalTake asking if there was a compatible AGP riser card I could use and they never responded. I decided not to take a risk with the compatibility and not to do business with companies with customer service. I found myself numerous times lately wishing I could pop an SD card from my digital camera into a reader to display straight on my TV, so a card reader is an important item for me on an HTPC and I wanted it to be internal so I would not be cluttering things up. That left me with the LC16m as the best candidate, plus it also has some control buttons on the front that I think look very nice and have WAF. Got it from Directron.com for about $240 including S&H. Haven't assembled it yet because the CPU cooler I intended to use with it was back ordered and I just received that today...

thanks......

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
If you are already used to the full size case I don't think you'll like the slim case. I had a slim case and it drove me nuts.

Every time I wanted to upgrade a sound card, video card or whatever I had to worry about clearance issues.

I'd stick with full size. The Lian Li's are nice as someone else mentioned... Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW!

I liked the Silverstone until I saw this. Pretty cool option. I'll need to save up for a few months but this is doable.

Thanks.

Anyone have other similar options?

Don't want to go ultra cheap but don't want to break the bank either.

Ge0

this company has some nice cases but they are a little expensive

atechfabrication

cant post the link.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My Silverstone Fortress was worth every cent, although its not by any means low profile. As others have said quality is not cheap (unless its an Emo amp).

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OOPS!

Misread the costing sheet. Real cool stuff for sure. But with the options others would offer standard this beast would cost me about $500 more than I'm willing to spend.

I envy you who don't think much about spending close to $1K USD on a case.

Ge0

WOW!

I liked the Silverstone until I saw this. Pretty cool option. I'll need to save up for a few months but this is doable.

Thanks.

Anyone have other similar options?

Don't want to go ultra cheap but don't want to break the bank either.

Ge0

1 - 14 of 14 Posts