Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been quite happy with my stacked subs in my avatar which are SoundSplinter's RLP 15s with 4 passive radiators in each cabinet. They make the curtains dance, but I'm looking for another project. :hsd:

I am going to sell these and build an even bigger sub and have been out of the loop for a while with the new 18" drivers that may be out there now. I like Soundsplinter's products and Mike's fantastic service, but I want to compare some other products. I would prefer to stay sealed to eliminate port noises, and not have the additional grand tied up in passive radiators. The LLT may be more of a challenge that I want to take on.

I have two QSC 1450 amps briged to mono for 1450 watts to each cabinet and use the Reckhorn B-1 for my gains and filters. I could put two 18s in one cabinet and hit each woofer with it's own amp.

I'm open to suggestions.:spend:

Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike.... These are very impressive looking drivers and have the XBL2 technology we have in our A3 full range drivers. It is a fantastic motor.

I never knew these were available. The graphs are very impressive. I can fit a 15 cu. ft. cabinet in the same spot just fine.

Thanks for your help again.

I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll be ordering the 21" and will sell the RLP15s and passive radiators in my other two subs.

Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,

Do you have any idea when the 21" will be here? I went to order one and saw they were on their way.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kevin emailed back and says they are in stock now, but he just didn't update the site.....

I think I'll go for two 21" drivers in a single cabinet. It will be cheaper than 4 termite treatments and will probably be more effective.

Mike

Update.....Kevin said it looks like it will take a 28-30 cu. ft. cabinet for twin drivers. Will have to run a WAF graph when she gets in....

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
man thats a big box. I've seen families living in places smaller than that.
Cant' you just use some EQ and cut that down to a managable size??

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Zero....

I've decided on going with a single driver in a 10.5 cu ft cabinet using 6 of my 1800 gram passive radiators that are on my existing subs.

That will put my box tuning down to 18 hz and give me the passive radiator sound I love so much. I was concerned that the Q of the 21" might be too high, so I was looking at going sealed. It is just barely over .4, but with a driver this size, 20% fill, and the passive radiator design, I should have the output of two drivers sealed. I've got eq and high pass filter with the Reckhorn B-1.

I just got off the phone with Kevin. I placed the order and we went over the specs and he said this should be an ideal setup.

Mike

·
Registered
487 Posts
WOW, thats going to be one awesome sub :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It should be the last sub I'll ever need! I want it to sound great at a low listening volumes as well as loud, and I think this is going to do that job very well. My existing setup does that too, but I want more and deeper bass. I think this is the ticket to cure my bass disease.

My Soundsplinter RLP 15 drivers are now for sale:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...r-rlp-15-dual-2-ohm-coil-sale.html#post207455

This sub is going to be so big and well built, I'm having my laminate company cut the 1.25 mdf. The size is going to be 23" x 23" x 60". Because the sheets of material are so heavy, it will be very difficult to cut on my table saw square. I sent them the specs for the cuts yesterday. I'll post a build thread when I get started.

·
Registered
511 Posts
WOW, thats going to be one moo baby moo of a sub :)
Hahaa, I love the auto word change here int he forums.

It should be the last sub I'll ever need! I want it to sound great at a low listening volumes as well as loud, and I think this is going to do that job very well. My existing setup does that too, but I want more and deeper bass. I think this is the ticket to cure my bass disease.

My Soundsplinter RLP 15 drivers are now for sale:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...r-rlp-15-dual-2-ohm-coil-sale.html#post207455

This sub is going to be so big and well built, I'm having my laminate company cut the 1.25 mdf. The size is going to be 23" x 23" x 60". Because the sheets of material are so heavy, it will be very difficult to cut on my table saw square. I sent them the specs for the cuts yesterday. I'll post a build thread when I get started.
Mike, that sounds like the best of both worlds being a Mal-X 21" *and* having passives! I'm very excited to see your build progress! :sn:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hahaa, I love the auto word change here int he forums.

Mike, that sounds like the best of both worlds being a Mal-X 21" *and* having passives! I'm very excited to see your build progress! :sn:
Well, sometimes the auto word changes are good for a reason.

If I can get my material cut this week, I'll be starting this weekend. The Maestrom will be here Tuesday. I just can't even imagine a 21" driver, much less one with the XBL2 topology! It rules!

Will start snapping pics when the motor gets running.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts