Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i've been lurking on this website for quite some time now
I've been thinking about building a DIY Subwoofer, but have no idea where to begin, I currently have a Velodyne DPS-12 it's alright but it doesn't put out nearly enough
My room is 12' wide 21' deep and 8' tall
i'm using a Yamaha HTR-6090 reciever, i'm going to be bulding the Statement speakers for my home theatre, but i want a sub that will kick too. Mind you I'm in Canada and it's tough to find some stuff up here.
I'm looking for a simple port design or a solid sealed design. I've been looking at some drivers off of Partsexpress but don't know what else i'd need. I've read some reviews that the Titanic Kits are ok but could be better aka ported. hence why i want to make my own box, i liked the Infinity Kappa design i found on here but i don't exactly understand how they hook up the EP2500? or how to use the WinISD program properly (total noob) or how to design a box/tune it?
oh as for a budget i'm not too sure yet i don't want to break the bank, but i'm willing to spend a decent amount of money say $1000. and as for size of the driver i'm open to ideas 12, 15, 18? i mostly watch blu-rays (50%) and play video games (45%)very little music (5%)
Please any input would be great

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! A couple of questions for you first.

1. What's your budget for the sub and amp?

2. What is your box size limit?
not too sure yet i said maybe $1000 but i guess best bang for the buck lol
as for size no real limitations but i would like to be able to get it up and down my stairs and through a door way seeing as i don't plan on living at my place forever

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice i forgot all about that site, it looks pretty straight forward plain and simple which i like
and the price isn't too bad either the kit is way cheaper than ordering individually
one question though i was looking at some simular builds and people lined the sub with egg crate foam, i think it's also a good idea does it say in the instructions to fill/line the box with anything?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info
i have a few more questions now lol
i was doing a little research and checking out the builds that others have done on this site, and i noticed none of them have gone with the passive radiator route. is there any reason besides personal preferance? or is there a big sound difference between the, passive radiated, ported and sealed designs?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok that's pretty much the conclusions i came up with but just thought i'd double check thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike if you were in the same room as me you'd probably slap me for thinking too much lol.
but my curiousity got the better of me. i found a local place that deals with Behringer and they can get me a EP2500 for $440 Cnd. which really isn't that bad. i don't think. I told the guy what i was wanting it for was to run a sub and he said yes it will give me way more power being stand alone but he said those amps don't like to be bridged they clip and clip hard. I asked him if i should run 2 subs and he said that would be a much better idea plenty of power and less risk of clipping.
I still like the Quartet 15 idea, but instead of getting the kit, ordering the pieces seperate (2 subs) minus the amp then modifying the box design because the amp won't be taking up the space inside. would this be a better alternative or should i just stick with what They have designed? i haven't sat down and priced it out yet, i'm thinking it'll be a little more pricey but a huge step in sound.
thanks

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
he said those amps don't like to be bridged they clip and clip hard.
Any amp will clip if it's pushed too hard. The EP2500 is an extremely popular sub amp with no issues if kept within its capabilities, bridged or not. The amp will easily run a pair of subs and many people do. A couple of issues with a Pro Audio amp is that some receivers don't have enough output voltage to drive the amp to its potential. It also does not have a Hi Pass filter to protect the subs from over excursion at the lower frequencies. The solution is and add on unit that will boost the input voltage if required and supply a Hi Pass filter. The Reckhorn B1 fromm CSS will do both these functions along with other features. It is a must for your application if using a Pro Audio amp and cost is under $100.

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=B-1

There is no need to modify the cabinet design as the difference in amount of volume the amp takes up is so minimal it won't have any effect of the performance of the subs. You are absolutely correct about a dual sub setup with a EP2500 would be a big step forward.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts