Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Ive been eyeing turntables for years, but have never bought one. Ive been piecing together my music setup/home theater setup and i have a pretty nice setup, i think. So now i want to add a turn table.

My system consist of:

Onkyo 808
PSB T65 Towers
PSB T65 Center
CHT 18.2 subs.

Can someone give me a good recommendation on a turntable? Ive been looking at the music Hall 2.2, and from what i have read, my onkyo should have a phono so i can just hook it up correct?

Any help or input? My budget will be about 300-500 approximately for the turntable, and then i will upgrade as i go hopefully.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
You have a nice system. Yes, your 808 has a phono input (MM style cartridge according to the manual). Based on what I have read, Music Hall, Pro-ject, and Rega are all great options for low cost turntables. I purchased a Rega P3 used at a good price, but Music Hall would have been my 2nd pick. I think the Music Hall TTs offer lots of room for future upgrades if you should so desire.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What have you been using to play your records? If you are planning to buy records, let me suggest you stick with digital. It is better in every respect. To me the only reason to buy a turntable would be to play records you already have. In my case it is to digitize the records so I don't need to use a turntable any longer. I feel great freedom from having my high end cassette recorder and two turntables stored in a closet.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Here is another great place to ask your question. Received great help, advice, and finally purchased from another member.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Keep in mind some vintage turntables can be had in your price range and out perform the newer entry level tables. Is your price for table only or does it include the cartridge?

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
I would look for a older belt drive turntable as it will be a much better value than a new table in your price range plus it should sound better too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone. I currently dont have any source to play my records. I was just given about 100 records though from my uncle, so i would really like to at least have some way to play them, instead of having them just sit.

Ive been browsing craiglist, but it seems like noone in my are is into any type of music or home theater as a hobby, so i may have to look else where (im in west texas). I know of a secondhand store, so i may check them out and see what they have for sale.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
With the strange resurgence of LPs 1/2 Price Books might give you a few bucks for them.
In any case you can buy lots of replacement CDs with $500 on Amazon.... Just sayin'

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You make a good point there. Right now my only real way to play music is through PS3, which isnt bad, but i know its not audiophile by any means. So either way i guess i need to upgrade my cd player or try out vinyl.

I just figured vinyl was the one thing i hadnt tried, and since getting all these records now would be a good time to try it out. But either way i have about $500 saved up specifically for a new piece of equipment. So let me ask what would yall do with an extra $500 you have saved, knowing what my system consist of currently?

·
Registered
486 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
You make a good point there. Right now my only real way to play music is through PS3, which isnt bad, but i know its not audiophile by any means. So either way i guess i need to upgrade my cd player or try out vinyl.

I just figured vinyl was the one thing i hadnt tried, and since getting all these records now would be a good time to try it out. But either way i have about $500 saved up specifically for a new piece of equipment. So let me ask what would yall do with an extra $500 you have saved, knowing what my system consist of currently?
I do streaming and do have a CD Juke Box along with an OPPO BD83 SE but I also just love my second system which is TT with a Carver C1 and a Carver TXM25 with a pair of B&W 705's. For the turn table I went with a Technics SL-1600 for 200.00 and put in a Denon DL110 cart for another 200. Sounds very good and for under 500.00 for the TT and new cart hard to beat!

·
Registered
76 Posts
SL-1200 is another reasonable turntable. I picked one up for $300 a while back and with my Pickering V15/625 it does very well.

The DL-110 is an MC (Moving Coil) cartridge and not compatible with his phono input which is a MM (Moving Magnet) input.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Te C1 I have has both MM and MC inputs. Tyhe Denon DL110 has such a high output that it sounds bbass bloted on the MC so I put it into the MM and it sounds beautiful!!:T

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice to know the DL110 can drive the MM Phono input.

The OPs Onkyo TX-NR808 has a MM input, so he could use the DL110 in addition to using MM cartridges.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts