Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Can't you just crawl through the tube to install that fiberglass... :raped: I hate installing that stuff anywhere.

Looking good... :T

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ok, so I've been catching some flack over at the AVS Forum about using too much R13 on the inside of my sonotube. I thought I'd ask here and see what you all thought.

Is this too much? Will it have a negative effect on performance and if so how? Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's about double the amount of damping one routinely sees in a ported tube. So unless you modeled the design taking that much into account, you'll change the performance.

Aloha,
Willy

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm wondering if it's just camera perspective that's making your insulation look so thick. One layer of R13 is a typical recommendation and R13 should pretty much be R13. Kind of looks like to me it's not conforming to the curve of the tube real well, causing it to gap away from the walls. For instance, your first strip photo looks like the typical thickness for most every other lining I've ever seen.

As long as it's essentially one layer of R13 and the path from port to driver isn't obstructed, I think you'll be fine...IMHO.

-Brent

·
Registered
52 Posts
Were he building a sealed sub he'd have the classic definition of choosing the "heavy fill" setting in a modeling program. Given that he's building a ported design it's overdamped and he'll lose efficiency.

Aloha,
Willy

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Hey what does everyone here think of the QSC RMX1450? I found one at a local Guitar Center for not much more than the EP2500. Thinking of going QSC instead. This should give me about 700 watts per woofer. Is this enough? Thanks!

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Almost done!!! Got the fiberglass removed from the tube, this worked out well because I was able to use what I pulled out in the second tube. I was surprised how easily it peeled out of there.

Got the carpet glued to both subs.
DO NOT USE THIS STUFF!!! IT SUCKS! I have no problems publicly humiliating a company that sells a bad product! This stuff evaporated before it became tacky and didn't stick unless I used copious amounts of it. :mad: The 3M which is actually cheaper works much much better. :T

Set it up just to see how it looks. In retrospect I wish I'd just painted the caps matt black. I think it would have matched the carpet better and been a **** of a lot less work. That or bright orange or something :p Getting very excited now, hopefully I'll be rattling dishes out of the cupboards this weekend. :D :D :D

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Hey what does everyone here think of the QSC RMX1450? I found one at a local Guitar Center for not much more than the EP2500. Thinking of going QSC instead. This should give me about 700 watts per woofer. Is this enough? Thanks!
Do you have any idea what the power rating is from 10Hz to 200Hz? The only rating I see is at 1KHz.

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
Looking real good!!!:T
I purchase the batting from wall Mart, you can go to a upholstery shop they should have it!, The problem I see, fibers escape from the sonotube into the room:scratchhead: .

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
It's on now!

My initial impressions of this driver are that it is very utilitarian and simple in design with quality where it counts. The aluminum cone is a seamless bowl with a rubber surround and the suspension is pretty loose. The magnet is huge. The voice coil leads are sewn into the spider to prevent slapping and from what I can see of the voice coil itself, its beefy. No gimmicks here. So far nothing but good things to say about TCSounds!

G

·
Just wanted to post a solution to "build a sub to end all" that my friend and I did. We were wanting to prove not only that more bass is better, but WAY more BETTER bass is flat out awesome. And we did. Most people that are not HT nuts like us think we ARE nuts and that it is complete overkill...until they listen. Every single person that has heard this system is awe struck and usually makes the comment, "I have never heard anything that good in my life!". We had a space/dimensional issue that we wanted to "fill up" aesthetically all the while designing a powerful and dynamic system. When we looked at all the available subs, we ended up using the Dayton Quatro 15" for a couple reasons. 1-It is very inexpensive, especially when you buy 16 at one time! 2-We were designing a two box system with 8 subs in each cabinet which allowed us to address room mode issues by the sheer nature of the placement of 16 subs (see pics). 3-We had a massive amount of output, Xmax and displacement available without spending a rediculous amount of money on expensive subs and amps.

All told, this system came to a whopping $2,000. Including $450 in 1" MDF (8 sheets) and the CNC routering fee. The boxes were designed in BassBox Pro. 20cu/ft. cabinets with 2 seperate chambers at 10 cu/ft. per 4 subs. 2-6" port tubes for each chamber at 30". One on top and one on bottom tuned to 20hz. Each cabinet weighs around 250lbs w/o the subs. 2 Legion Sound Pro amps rated to 2700 watts bridged 4 ohms. Then we tuned it with a Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124P, REW and a RS Digital Meter.

The results are trully astonishing. 128db @ 25hz (we haven't even turned them up yet). NO ROOM NODES!!! and a perfectly flat house curve all the way up to the PSB Silvers output at 110db. Needless to say the dynamics and output are phenomenal but more importantly, they are very musical and subtle. If you didn't see them, you would know they were their until something big under 80hz happens. Then it's more of a dramatic exclamation point to the scene or music passage than an overbearing, booming bass note.

Hope you guys (and gals?) enjoy seeing our project. We are having a blast with DIY projects like this and hope this one inspires some of you to "go bigger"!

BTW - We built the center channel also with 4 Tag Bands and a Dayton Titanium Dome Tweeter.

Attachments

G

·
Very impressive.
It's amazing that the TV hasn't broken yet or any of the associated electronics being blown around.
I visited somebody with 2 high-end commercial subs and when he cranked it up, parts of the popcorn ceiling started crumbling and a/c vents started rattling; guess poor house construction:yikes:

41 - 60 of 84 Posts