Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on my HT setup. I have a Yamaha HTR-4064 with Boston Acoustics: Micro80X rears and CR7 center channel and Klipsch KG 4.5 floor speakers. I'm not sure this combination works well together but I want to lose the Klipsch towers due to their size then add some new (used) fronts and a subwoofer.

My question is whether I should find used Boston Acoustics that match my current speakers or if I can mismatch with another manufacturer. Or perhaps I should just scrap it all and get a new speaker system. They are 20 years old at this point though in good condition. I see BA has lots of Micro80* models.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you have a budget in mind? Do you have a UHD TV? The answers to those questions would REALLY help with suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a budget in mind? Do you have a UHD TV? The answers to those questions would REALLY help with suggestions.
I hadn't thought about budget initially as I figured it wouldn't be expensive to replace just the fronts and adding a subwoofer but I see now that finding matching speakers may be harder than I thought. I just have a Sharp LCD with no plans to upgrade while it's still working.

I see that the KG 4.5s may be work a couple hundred to someone so I now I thinking about buying a matched set like the Klipsh Reference Theatre Pack 5.1. A wireless subwoofer is appealing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hadn't thought about budget initially as I figured it wouldn't be expensive to replace just the fronts and adding a subwoofer but I see now that finding matching speakers may be harder than I thought. I just have a Sharp LCD with no plans to upgrade while it's still working.

I see that the KG 4.5s may be work a couple hundred to someone so I now I thinking about buying a matched set like the Klipsh Reference Theatre Pack 5.1. A wireless subwoofer is appealing.

Thanks.
That Klipsch package would be "okay" for that price range. I would't really call that little 9 inch driver a subwoofer but it will most likely output as much or more as your Klipsch 4'5's do.
If you decide on the Klipsch setup do yourself a favor and keep your other speakers until you have had a chance to see if you like the new speakers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice and I am a little concerned in that my TV room is good sized with vaulted ceilings. The driver behind all this was that I wasn't happy with the sound. Then my gf says those 4.5's should go. I've been holding on to them because they are nice speakers but I'm committed now to letting them go.

I've decided to up my budget to $1K. What the ****, looks like I'll be watching movies from home for a while. Funny how when you start on this is stuff it spirals. My entertainment center is not large enough to place the speaker on top so I'll have to get a larger one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well if you are upping your budget then things get a lot more interesting! In a good way!
Since you are on an upgrade path that is partly WAF induced we need a few questions answered.and some pics would also help.
What is your usual use for your home theater? Like 75% movies/TV and 25% music? How loud do you usually listen to either of those? Are you in a home or apartment/condo with neighbors sharing a wall? Do you mind starting out with say only replacing the front speakers atm and saving up for the rest later?

As for your entertainment center the big question is if a center channel will fit on it . Left and right speakers do not have to be actually on it unless (they sound better the further apart you can spread them) this is something the significant other is pushing.

Anyway some pics of the entertainment center area and a room size description would help a lot!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if you are upping your budget then things get a lot more interesting! In a good way!
Since you are on an upgrade path that is partly WAF induced we need a few questions answered.and some pics would also help.
What is your usual use for your home theater? Like 75% movies/TV and 25% music? How loud do you usually listen to either of those? Are you in a home or apartment/condo with neighbors sharing a wall? Do you mind starting out with say only replacing the front speakers atm and saving up for the rest later?

As for your entertainment center the big question is if a center channel will fit on it . Left and right speakers do not have to be actually on it unless (they sound better the further apart you can spread them) this is something the significant other is pushing.

Anyway some pics of the entertainment center area and a room size description would help a lot!
You're right, it has become more interesting. Currently it's 50/50 movies/tv as I have a homepod though lately I've been craving more sound quality for my music. I don't crank up the volume on TV but when watching a movie I like the volume elevated. I'm listening to The Pretenders right now on the KGs and they still sound good.

The room is not square but roughly 20'x20' with vaulted ceilings. Wood walls (4"x6" logs), wood floors, wood ceiling. It's a house with no neighbors within offending distance.

I'm up for trying something new, I've had this speaker system for 18 years and they weren't new when I got them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts