Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am almost finished my home theater!!! Finally!!

I am looking to buy an amp to power 4 15" Dayton Ultimax in a sealed box. I am currently looking at 3 amps and wondering the follow:

iNuke 3000
QSC PLX 3402
Crown XTi 4000

• Is the QSC PLX3402 or Crown XTi 4000 amp a good amp for driving subs?
  • Which amp would be better for driving subs?
  • Does the DSP on the Crown XTi 4000 work in mono mode and suitable for EQ in the low range?
  • Is 3000 watts enough power for 4 15's or am I under powered?
  • Is 3000 wats enough power for 2 15's?

Thank you very much for everyone's help...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am almost finished my home theater!!! Finally!!

I am looking to buy an amp to power 4 15" Dayton Ultimax in a sealed box. I am currently looking at 3 amps and wondering the follow:

iNuke 3000
QSC PLX 3402
Crown XTi 4000

• Is the QSC PLX3402 or Crown XTi 4000 amp a good amp for driving subs?
  • Which amp would be better for driving subs?
  • Does the DSP on the Crown XTi 4000 work in mono mode and suitable for EQ in the low range?
  • Is 3000 watts enough power for 4 15's or am I under powered?
  • Is 3000 wats enough power for 2 15's?

Thank you very much for everyone's help...
1) Either would probably be fine.
2) See #1
3) Not sure but probably, and Yes
4 & 5) Depends on the size of the room, placement, personal preference, sensitivity of the sub etc... but probably.

I own a Crown XTi 2002 so I'm a bit biased. It has plenty of power, is super quiet (the iNuke and QSC might need fan mods, this point is moot if your equipment is in a separate room), and I like having the DSP option for PEQ's generated by REW.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I've had a Crown XLS running 2 JL Audio's and never had a problem... The DSP functions are very useful and simple. I also have 2 of the Dayton 15's in another system and will upgrade my current amp to a Crown XLS also, probably the 2500... My question is how are you going to wire your subs to get a 4 ohm load ? I guess at 2 ohms per coil, each woofer could be wired down to 1 ohm , giving you 4 one ohm speakers ... and @ 800 watt rating per woofer your probably not going to over / under power it...

If and when your ready for the Ultimate sub test, use the first 1:30 min of "The Edge of Tommorow".

Hope you post some pics of your sub setup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts