Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. This is my first post here and I look forward to learning much from this wonderful site. I just downloaded REW and haven't even unzipped it yet. I wanted to join this forum before I did anything so that I don't start off on the wrong foot.

I am trying to get a better sound in my small bedroom because a lot of TV watching goes on in here. I also like to record some in here on my computer.

I have an ECM8000 mic. My soundcard is an EMU 1212M 2 in 2 out interface with digital as well. I have a Mackie onyx 1220 mixing board that I use for Mic preamps and eq.

before I open REW can someone tell me the first few steps to take? Will this be calibrating my soundcard? I only use two channel sound, and I use a pair of Samson Resolve studio monitors for speakers. I would simply like to tune my room and system up to get the best sound for listening and recording some.

Thanks in advance for helping me take my first baby steps.:yay2:

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
before I open REW can someone tell me the first few steps to take?
First I would read and become familiar with the REW HELP files and the REW Cabling and Connections Basics.

Also note the REW information Index and the Download Page.

with digital as well
REW uses analog only.

Will this be calibrating my soundcard?
Yeah, that's the first thing you do. You create a soundcard calibration file that you store and point the REW program to, so that it renders your card perfectly flat from 0-20000Hz. To prove that the file is good, you measure a loopback cable to ensure it returns a flat response. Then you remove the cable and hook up the mic/preamp and connect to your sound system with the calibrated soundcard channel.
Don't forget to download the ECM8000 calibration file also.

brucek

1 - 2 of 2 Posts