Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i built the tritrix and my center has a loose connection. i thumped on the ground and the speaker went out. i smacked it and it came back. seems like there is a loose connection... right? i broker her open but couldn't see a bad connection. maybe one of the crossover components is bad? i'll just build a new one, it's not too expensive but the coils can't be the culprit can they?
what do you guys think?
all new parts?
some new parts?
troubleshoot?
thx

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
i built the tritrix and my center has a loose connection. i thumped on the ground and the speaker went out. i smacked it and it came back. seems like there is a loose connection... right? i broker her open but couldn't see a bad connection. maybe one of the crossover components is bad? i'll just build a new one, it's not too expensive but the coils can't be the culprit can they?
what do you guys think?
all new parts?
some new parts?
troubleshoot?
thx
It sounds like a possible dry joint in the crossover or the input connectors. I would simply resolder the joints and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'll resolder them
thx!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there is one point where there are several wires come together and it a mess. that's probably my dry joint. my soldering iron has a hard time getting that mess heated enough to flow. is there a method you guys would recommend for joining that many wires?

·
Registered
5,772 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awesome
thx!

·
Registered
83 Posts
get a more powerful soldering iron?? they are not that expencive..

or take all the wires, strip ½ inch of insulation, cut away part of each wire (to make it a smaller diameter) then twist all the cut ends together as tight as you can then solder that to the board. I have done that many times with success when dealing with lots of wires coming to a single point.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
get a more powerful soldering iron??
i got a gun. worked much better

looks like it's my pioneer avr that's the culprit

an new avr is in my future

·
Registered
205 Posts
I take a mini torch and heat up the sodering pencil for a few seconds for bigger joints - up the temp by few degrees.

Harbor fright sells them - $5 bucks on sale.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I take a mini torch and heat up the sodering pencil for a few seconds for bigger joints - up the temp by few degrees.

Harbor fright sells them - $5 bucks on sale.
i had that thought but a soldering gun got it hot enough

1 - 12 of 12 Posts