Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right place to post this question. Has anyone seen any information on a release date for the extended version of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy on Blu-Ray? I know the theatrical version is out but I refuse to buy that version only to end up buying the extended version when it finally releases. Any information would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I know the theatrical version is out but I refuse to buy that version only to end up buying the extended version when it finally releases. Any information would be appreciated.
Ditto.

My guess is that they will wait until sales of the theatrical version slows or falls before they cash in on the extended version. :sad:

Bob

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess they haven't made enough money from sales of the DVD theatrical version then the extended version. Another case of unbridled greed. I guess I will just have to wait then. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I guess they haven't made enough money from sales of the DVD theatrical version then the extended version. Another case of unbridled greed. I guess I will just have to wait then. Thanks for the feedback.
I thought they were going to time the releases of the BD LOTR around the time of the Hobbit movie. Or was that just the theatrical BD release?

In any event, as annoying as the double dip is, I am glad that the "Director's Cut" is even made at all and that it's given so much care in both video and sound when it does arrive. There is nothing saying they have to release an "extended cut" at all. Once upon a time nobody ever saw a director's cut. I'm still happy that disc media gives us that opportunity.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just saw that Peter Jackson did an interview, and stated that the extended version will be realeased on blu-ray next year. Lets hope that is true:praying:

·
Banned
601 Posts
I will rent the Theatrical versions.

* But I will purchase the Extended Editions, next year. :bigsmile: Just have to be patient, that's all.

P.S. Mmm... I prefer the avatar of Bob_99 just above (LOTR: The Return of the King).

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just saw that Peter Jackson did an interview, and stated that the extended version will be realeased on blu-ray next year. Lets hope that is true:praying:
While possible, I would doubt it. The theatrical release has been pushed off until March (or later) of 2010, so if the EE's do come out in 2010, it probably won't be until xmas. I still think it'll be mid-2011

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
While possible, I would doubt it. The theatrical release has been pushed off until March (or later) of 2010, so if the EE's do come out in 2010, it probably won't be until xmas. I still think it'll be mid-2011
I have to agree with the mid-2011 date. Sales will do much better if the Hobbit gets into theaters for Christmas of that year. The Blu-Ray extended discs would be great promo material for the movie and Peter Jackson is not only a good director but he's also very good at marketing.

This assumes of course that the Hobbit gets done in the timeline that was provided (if it gets done at all).

Bob

·
Banned
601 Posts
So, I guess it's all about money. Of course it is.

* Too bad, it's not for the consumer pleasure, but for the coffins of the big studios;
that's again a sad reality check. Ok, what's new and worthy of our attention, for our own satisfaction?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've actually seen "the two towers" extended edition at Grocery Outlet earlier this year for $10 (don't bother going now. They've long sold out). I wouldn't be surprised if it was planned around promotions for the first Hobbit movie.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Heavily agree!

When the extended version came out, I had a 21" TV and used the DVD as an excuse to upgrade the TV and the DVD player. Then I tried hooking the sound out to my old Sansui system that I bought in the early 70s while overseas. That was so good that I figured it was a good excuse to upgrade the speakers and add a sub. Then I went to a new receiver but moved on quickly to separates. That sounded so good that I treated the room with bass treatment and early reflection treatment.

I'm not sure I'll be able to afford the Hobbit if it's done better than the LOTR trilogy.

:bigsmile:

Bob

·
Registered
303 Posts
LOTR - FOTR EE was the first movie we watched in my theater just before xmas. The next year we watched FOTR EE and TTT EE back to back. The following year we watched all three back to back to back - 12 great hours.

I'm really bummed though, because I sold my EE's about 1 year ago figuring the BDs would be out by now.

·
Banned
601 Posts
LOTR - FOTR EE was the first movie we watched in my theater just before xmas. The next year we watched FOTR EE and TTT EE back to back. The following year we watched all three back to back to back - 12 great hours.

I'm really bummed though, because I sold my EE's about 1 year ago figuring the BDs would be out by now.
I'm with you man, don't despair, the day will come soon enough. :T
Just don't think about it, and watch "Transformers 1 & 2" on Blu for now. :bigsmile:
There is also "Spiderman 1, 2 & 3 on blu. :shh:
And what about "The Matrix 1, 2 & 3, also on Blu. :jiggy: :whew:
And a whole lot more Blues... :yes:

* There is a saying: "Best is yet to come".

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I know this is an OLD thread, but I didn't see a newer one, so I'm dumping some info here.

I got an email from Amazon the other day because I had signed up for notice of the EE being released on Blu. They still don't show a date, but it looks like they are accepting pre-orders now. It was $38.99 when I first checked.

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

We're happy to inform you that the item you requested, "The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy (Limited Extended Edition)," is now available to pre-order on Blu-ray exclusively at Amazon.com.

The extended trilogy features 26 hours of bonus material, including the rare Costa Botes documentaries, plus a bonus digital copy of each film available online.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Suspected release, 2011 or 2012. money grubbing.... I assume he's working on getting it to 3D which will be the theatrical version first.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts