Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Ugh, I hope not! Don't waste your time on 3D, just do a proper video transfer on this one, PJ! If I remember correctly, the reviews of the first BD trilogy were universally disappointed with the video transfer, especially on FOTR.

I did assume that he would try to release it and gear it towards The Hobbit before or after its theatrical release, and then when I got that email I felt a little ray of hope that it might be out sooner. At least shoot for Christmas 2011 and get it out this year. :(

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Ok I am confused........Is the latest BR version of the LOTR (FOTR) not a very good edition?

I have watched the movie on my PS3 and the line doubler makes the EE SD copy I have of the FOTR awesome. I figured I would get the rest atleast in BR if they are slightly better. Usually the BR copies are better than just using the PS3.

SO before I go out and buy the FOTR is it not a good copy compared to the SD EE as far as video quality and SQ?

I know when I first got hellboy BR and watched it on our Samsung TV it looked like you were watching the movie through a window and the actors were on the other side. Something the PS3 line double cant do but it comes close.

I have been waiting 4ever to watch the LOTR movies again since moving to OZ. I haven't even watched the FOTR EE SD because I have a new PS3(since 2009) and the movies are region coded. So I am waiting to buy the BR copies for here in OZ.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Rated it down????

Does that mean that its just peoples opinions is all. Meaning the movie is the same with the added benefits of BR but peoples opinions are the only thing that has changed?

Here is a quote I found which I think somes it up:

" The decision to pick this first edition up, rather than waiting for the extended set is one that comes down to personal preference and patience. New Line could have given fans more reason to buy this with some exclusive HD features, but chose not to. Even with the issues we had with the video quality, this is still the best-looking version of the film that's ever been available for the home market, so that's something to consider."

Reminds me of my Hellboy BR. If there are any flaws you will see them in a clear non grainy BR. So a 10 year old movie I am sure you will be able to see some of the flaws. And I also read that they weren't using the best of technology to put this out on BR in regards to the first movie. The reviews said that as the movie progress through the series the movies got better and with the Return of The King it was by far the better edition.

Seams like the SD copy is going to be hard to beat for me then. the SD copy also hides the flaws much better because of the smearing affect I guess you could call it compared to the BR. I wonder then if the audio is really that much better. I thought the SD EE was awesome on my PS3 when I first got it so I am a bit apprehensive at wanting to buy this. I wish I could just rent it and see for myself but have not seen it anywhere.

Hurry up already!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Does anyone know if the LOTR BR EE trilogy will be region coded?

Or are the other BR editions region coded?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Not sure about region coding, but it seems that the EE BD will be available at then end of June and that FOTR will actually get a new remaster from the digital originals.

Here's a quick link, but the news is all over now. That makes me happy and I might just go ahead and pre-order it knowing that they are trying to at least up the quality on the first disc. I was going to wait for the reviews, but that might be enough for me.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I would preorder if I new it was Region free. But I will just have to wait.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts