Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been putting using rew off for months now, I tried to do it a few times but i can never get any output, i have my umik1 mic hooked up, and output from my macbook air via headphone to rca on my receiver, i can hear a pink noise from speakers, but i only want to run tests for my subwoofer. I bought the minidsp to use with my subwoofers but was hoping to do some more eq with them to help out. Am i missing something? I've watched the how to video but its not hooked up the same as mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am assuming you have a recent (+/- 5 years) laptop and a 5.1 capable receiver.

Depending on the year/OSX version of the laptop, you may be able to get an HDMI adapter output from the laptop, (MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adapters are about $30US) then connect an HDMI cable to the adapter and to one of the inputs of the AV receiver, the one your speakers are connected to. This is the ideal method, if using the UMIK-1 connected to your laptop USB Don’t connect through a USB hub, and don’t forget to load the calibration file for your individual mic, serialized, downloaded from miniDSP’s site.

Or an optical cable connected to the headphone laptop mini-jack output and then to a TOSLINK input on the receiver would also work. A utility app on your Mac called “Audio MIDI Setup” can allow you to send only to the subwoofer, if using optical or HDMI. Your headphone analog out put is only 2 channel. An HDMI cable can handle EIGHT discrete (separate) channels.

If none of the above will work for you, lastly—remove the speaker cables from all speakers but the subwoofer, just to take the measurement, then re-connect the speaker cables. Don’t want to overtax your amp like that, ideally, it’s hard on the receiver amps.

What you really want here is to stay in the digital realm and only move (out to? down to?) the analog (loudspeaker) world once the EQ and measurement stuff is over. Do the measuring in that digital world, then— use the software to output text files with values that you would manually enter into the MiniDSP using their plugin software on your Mac. You hook the miniDSP to your receiver/amp and your digital source (DVD, AppleTV, etc) to the inputs of the miniDSP. All your content stays digital from the DVD to the EQ device, to the pre-amp. Only at the amplifier stage does it change to analog, so the signal can move the speaker coils, creating sound that is incredibly clear, exciting to hear and feel, and totally worth all the geek-stuff I’ve described above. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh i never thought about using my mini display port to hdmi adaptor. i will give it a try. Other then that i don't own any cables to connect, and my anthem mrx300 does not have usb in. But i will give the adaptor a try and see what happens. thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts