Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my parents are finally getting the basement done, and they want me to start upgrading the home theater(its also about 25% music)
I started out thinking about getting 2 RLP 18's but then TC sounds dropped their prices. So I thought about getting 2 LMS Ultras. But that would be a pretty big stretch for my budget...
Right now I'm thinking about getting 2 Maelstrom 21's since they are on sale but, is ported a good idea with these monsters?

Thanks for any suggestions:T

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Well, my parents are finally getting the basement done, and they want me to start upgrading the home theater(its also about 25% music)
I started out thinking about getting 2 RLP 18's but then TC sounds dropped their prices. So I thought about getting 2 LMS Ultras. But that would be a pretty big stretch for my budget...
Right now I'm thinking about getting 2 Maelstrom 21's since they are on sale but, is ported a good idea with these monsters?

Thanks for any suggestions:T
I don't think you'd need 2 Ultras for a basement. I'd be worried you might crack it. :yikes:

Ultra's like smaller boxes than the Maelstroms. 4 cuft at 22hz is the what my model pops up for the LMS. In that size I suggest a 55" x 4" x 11" folded slot port to get enough airflow for RMS wattage. If you plan to push the sub hard you would need to go P-R.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My parents thought the same thing:D

What do you say about the maelstroms being ported? So would one LMS ultra be fine too for 4488ft3

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The more bass the better, for movies anyways.:T
I totally agree :bigsmile:
Right now Im thinking about going with a LMS Ultra, is this a good idea for this big of a space?:dontknow: If I do get it Ill be giving it 4000watts max

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
That is alot of space to fill but i do think one would satisfy, two my might have your parents hollerin,:hsd::rofl:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is alot of space to fill but i do think one would satisfy, two my might have your parents hollerin,:hsd::rofl:
Ok Ill go with the LMS Ultra, and since im graduating this year I get an extra 1000$ so ill get another :T
That would be hilarious, something to think about in the near future.
Right now im thinking of putting it in a 8ft3 box 19-20hz tuning, would this be good?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
It's difficult to adequately port an LMS. 13 cu ft tuned to 16.5hz looks good. Make sure you use at least 80sq inch of port area. PR's are a much better solution for the LMS IMHO.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I like that too, Ill do some graphs with it PR'd looking at the VMP18 passive I think Parts express kinda messed up the SD on it. It says that its 194.56 sq. cm while the EX-PR18 is 1182 cm^2...
I still like the port idea since itll be less expensive, but looking at the length of the port its pretty bad, so I guess Ill have to go PR'd

would 70sq inches of port area still be acceptable?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
After messing with WinISD
The 3xPR's are EX-PR18 and I have 1600grams on each of them and the box is 8ft3 and its being given 4000watts
Is their anything wrong with this?

next sub build.wpr is if I do ported, after doing some thinking i would prefer to go ported, since im kinda on a tight budget right now

Attachments

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
It's difficult to adequately port an LMS. 13 cu ft tuned to 16.5hz looks good. Make sure you use at least 80sq inch of port area. PR's are a much better solution for the LMS IMHO.
Agreed in every way shape and form. The thing is simply too powerful to port IMO. You will need 2 PRs at least to sustain the power this thing belts out. One LMS is capable of 120db at 20hz undistorted on a ground plane in a PRed box. That's a Jet plane taking off.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
what about 4 15" LMS-R's
2 would be more than enough IMO. You certainly don't have to port with these drivers. An Eq can be used to shape the response if necessary. Which I've found it normally isn't.

3 cuft is correct size for the LMS-R sealed. I'd try 2 of those and be done with it. If you want an LMS Ultra build do it for your place.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2 would be more than enough IMO. You certainly don't have to port with these drivers. An Eq can be used to shape the response if necessary. Which I've found it normally isn't.

3 cuft is correct size for the LMS-R sealed. I'd try 2 of those and be done with it. If you want an LMS Ultra build do it for your place.
I always like to overkill things:flex: I was thinking about putting each one in a 8ft3 box tuned to 20hz with 14000watts. I would like to do a LMS Ultra build, but as I look into it more, the more I begin to question it, but its still a good looking driver:D
The main question that is bugging me is that should I even go with any of these builds or try a different subwoofer:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I always like to overkill things:flex: I was thinking about putting each one in a 8ft3 box tuned to 20hz with 14000watts. I would like to do a LMS Ultra build, but as I look into it more, the more I begin to question it, but its still a good looking driver:D
The main question that is bugging me is that should I even go with any of these builds or try a different subwoofer:dontknow:
I normally just try to find a great deal on a used driver because the decisions are too hard for me. I'd love to have a 21" driver. I'd love to have an Ultra. I'd also love to build 4 dayton reference subs ported and corner load them to show what a low cost driver can do.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I normally just try to find a great deal on a used driver because the decisions are too hard for me. I'd love to have a 21" driver. I'd love to have an Ultra. I'd also love to build 4 dayton reference subs ported and corner load them to show what a low cost driver can do.
I always have that same dilemma too:scratch: It keeps me up at night, I've decided to go with 4LMS-R's since it will be cheaper and will supposedly will be better then the others.

Another question that has been bugging me is how can you tell if a driver likes to be sealed or ported?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I always have that same dilemma too:scratch: It keeps me up at night, I've decided to go with 4LMS-R's since it will be cheaper and will supposedly will be better then the others.

Another question that has been bugging me is how can you tell if a driver likes to be sealed or ported?
Most high quality drivers are versatile. Ported drivers give more output above the port and offer more extension, but 100db is 25db above reference so normally a sub with that much at 20hz in clean output is phenomenal for a sealed design. 90db is probably sufficient in many cases since room gain boosts 20hz and some distortion is tolerable. I'd probably do 4 sealed subs one in each corner. Floyd Toole did models on the best positions for room response and concluded that 4 subs in the corners or mid wall on each wall is best in a rectangular room. With the corners you get corner gain.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
true, its just I have no idea how much boost Ill get since the room has a huge opening on the left side of the wall that wont be closed. Currently I have nothing to test or equalize anything sadly, but im planning on getting some this year.
Ive never really worked with sealed subs sadly so I have no idea how they will sound:help: and will it still be exceptable for home theater?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
14000 watts! thats alot of power! I know you probly meant 1400 but if you did mean 14000 then wow1 talk about headroom:rofl:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts