Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If possible, take a tripod. Shoot one pic with a flash and one without. This gives you options on which one you want to work with. Also, software like Paint Shop Pro or PhotoShop will help a great deal wtih post production. GAMMA correction works better than adjusting the brightness for making a presentable picture.
I had considered taking a tripod, but there is so little room in there once they set up gear and get people in the room I did not want to take up too much room.

I am planning on getting a diffuser and using the flash more next time - with some beforehand practicing of course. :)

Thanks for the suggestions on the software - I will check them out!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I had considered taking a tripod, but there is so little room in there once they set up gear and get people in the room I did not want to take up too much room.

I am planning on getting a diffuser and using the flash more next time - with some beforehand practicing of course. :)

Thanks for the suggestions on the software - I will check them out!
Do you have a bounce flash? These tend to work better at avoiding a hot spot. Diffuser help but will cut your lumens. You may have to slow your shutter speed, but then it becomes a balancing act between slow enough but not so slow your pictures blur.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Good pictures Dennis! :T
Thanks, Joe! More to come...

I did not get the opportunity to make it to the room with the ML ESLs - what were your thoughts on the setup?
I liked it, but didn't get a chance to sit in the sweet spot for a good listen. I should have went back, it's been 20 years or so since I've laid ears on ML's. :doh:

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
The Soundfield Audio had two pairs of loudspeakers available for audition and while the smaller pair (a floorstanding variation on the Monitor 2) sounded great with clear, powerful highs from it's horn loaded ribbon, it was the venerable 1812 Overture that I spent most of my time with. Source was computer files, powered by Audio Electronics from Cary Audio and cabled by MG Audio Design.

The 1812 Overture is a rare bird, like many of AJ's speakers are. The upper module is a bipole configuration, with a rear mounted high quality full range driver. The forward firing drivers are point source, with the compression tweeter located within the voice coil of the woofer to maintain time and phase alignment. The upper cabinet is stand mounted upon the dipole woofer cabinet, which uses an 18" driver. The 1812 Overture was able to fill this large conference room with ease, sound was smooth and relaxed, yet powerful. I can imagine it would have no difficulties at all with normal sized listening rooms.

While this design is eminently musical, it would also be very useful for home theater systems. Centrally located images remained centered, even when standing at extreme left or right angles... you had to actually break the plane of the speaker baffle, or stand right over one speaker to break the stereo illusion!

942914_379770035473305_1449899612_n.jpg

283806_379770062139969_919753026_n.jpg

942176_379770082139967_1510496342_n.jpg

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
That's all the pics, sorry for the delay. Recently had surgery on my right bicep, so I'll add text to the rest of the pics as I can.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,283 Posts
Great pictures as usual! But your posting them at 2:30am with a surgically repaired arm? That's dedication my friend...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I am surprise how many high end speakers are "open baffle" (I think thats the correct terminology) I have little knowledge as to how these work but I am assuming they are very dependent on the room and the wall behind it.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I am surprise how many high end speakers are "open baffle" (I think thats the correct terminology) I have little knowledge as to how these work but I am assuming they are very dependent on the room and the wall behind it.
The Fred Dieckmann OB speakers, with the entire chain including the DAC being DIY, imaged like crazy! One of the very best sounding rooms there.

Tony, you are correct, OB speakers are very room dependent. But they also have strong nulls to the sides of the speakers, so first reflections are minimized greatly.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts