Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
381 - 400 of 428 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
A sub of this audio quality needs some mains worthy of it. My Millenia 200's are just too small to pair with this beast. I picked up 4 Paradigm Studio 60 v5's today. I can't wait to hear them together. Soundsaround in Calgary is blowing the 60's out at $1498 a pair...I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
A sub of this audio quality needs some mains worthy of it. My Millenia 200's are just too small to pair with this beast. I picked up 4 Paradigm Studio 60 v5's today. I can't wait to hear them together. Soundsaround in Calgary is blowing the 60's out at $1498 a pair...I couldn't resist.
Man! I was envious of the sub now you got studio 60's to go with them, i'm not sure i can handle this anymore. :unbelievable:. You have definatly got yourself one awesome system wish i could come listen to it.:T

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
Progress on the face plate is slow. Too many other projects and summer time fun going on right now. But I get a couple hours here and there to work on it. I took a few minutes while working on the face plate to stage a before and after pic.

Floor Property Flooring Room Hardwood

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I picked up 4 Paradigm Studio 60 v5's today. I can't wait to hear them together. Soundsaround in Calgary is blowing the 60's out at $1498 a pair...I couldn't resist.
Wow, that is a great deal! I'm still envious of that sub build, It just cant get over how nice it looks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The idea is to use them as end tables, so there is a lot of volume to play around with. I want to use a tapered horn in an almost nautilus configuration. All just planning stage or should i say, dreaming stage. The plywood can get pretty expensive. As most teachers must, I have to wait for the school year to start up.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
The idea is to use them as end tables, so there is a lot of volume to play around with. I want to use a tapered horn in an almost nautilus configuration. All just planning stage or should i say, dreaming stage. The plywood can get pretty expensive. As most teachers must, I have to wait for the school year to start up.
I was all primed to build a twin to my sub and use them as end tables. However, even at 200 lbs with 1.25" thick granite on top there is still to much vibration to set anything on top of it. Mind you when I wind it up it will vibrate pretty much every surface in the house, nothing is safe.

Its kinda funny that I was building this sub for about 5 months and my wife had never really seen it, except the few times I brought it into the basement to apply epoxy away from all the dust. She's quite impressed with the results and was more than willing to have two of them as end tables.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Always nice to have the wifes blessings, my wife wants to use my 15's for end tables as well but i think i'll have the same problem as you... nothing will stay on top of them. Oh and what bargain on the paradigms i think i paid that for my Monitor 11's:hissyfit:.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Any more pics to share.

Thoughts on performance?

Measurements ?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I was all primed to build a twin to my sub and use them as end tables. However, even at 200 lbs with 1.25" thick granite on top there is still to much vibration to set anything on top of it. Mind you when I wind it up it will vibrate pretty much every surface in the house, nothing is safe.

Its kinda funny that I was building this sub for about 5 months and my wife had never really seen it, except the few times I brought it into the basement to apply epoxy away from all the dust. She's quite impressed with the results and was more than willing to have two of them as end tables.
You know what that means don't you...

:D get another Mal-X and make a dual sealed like the Epik Empire or Seaton Submersive, except this will be more like a Galatik Empire or Corock Bass Block... i don't know if you could do that with your unconventional (btw awesome) design but i think dual opposites would be amazing.

P.S. you live in Calgary too? :D

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
Sorry about the long absence guys. Unfortunately, I haven't been enjoying the sub. Its still sitting unassembled in my garage. I changed jobs and that has kept me super busy over the last two months. I had to fill my basement with supplies which means there was no where to move my SVS subs. Therefore, I couldn't move my diy sub into the house.

The good news is I finished the face plate. It's been sent to a guy in Edmonton so he can do the finishing work. He also just started building his house, so I'm not sure how long it will take him to finish.

I have got the supplies organized and taken control of my basement back. Now as soon as I get control of my life back I'll get that sub moved into the house and get it shakin', then I'll be able to eq it and take some measurements for ya all. as well as give you a long term listening impression.

The face plate took A LOT of work. It was a lot more difficult than I thought. I sure hope it turns out good because I invested a lot of time on it. Sorry I can't give you a time frame for the finished product. I'm dependant on someone elses time frame right now.

PS. Calgary isn't in Saskatchewan

·
Registered
25 Posts
oh wow! i have never seen anything as beautiful as that, thats just amazing! love to hear it tho, mind you id have to travel halfway across the world :p i bet my tempest would sound like a 4" midbass compared to the maelstrom!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
corock, I'm almost at a loss for words here. That sub you built is breathtaking. I just read through every post in the last 40 pages over a day and a bit at work, and I've never seen a project like this. Absolutely stunning job, congratulations on seeing your vision through and inspiring more than a few of us here at the Shack. Can't wait to see the finished front plate too.

It reminds me a lot of the 2010 Winter Olympic podiums from Vancouver, especially the feet (I love how you integrated those).

381 - 400 of 428 Posts