Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
401 - 420 of 428 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 · (Edited)
The face plate is being finished as I write this. I've been guaranteed it by xmas. My sub is also pounding out some tunes as I'm typing; it's found a final resting place in my living room.

Loudspeaker Subwoofer Sound box Audio equipment Computer speaker

I've also got a chance to do some tweaking with the bfd.
Here's a measurement with no treatment what-so-ever.

Text Blue Green Line Plot

With Audyssey on.

Text Line Plot Slope Diagram

Equalized flat.

Text Blue Line Plot Pattern

Full range flat.

Text Line Blue Green Red

And full range with a 6db house curve.

Text White Line Plot Slope

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Corock,

With my subs in sealed mode I get -7db from 20hz to 10hz with little room gain which is why I am surprised you don't go that low. But with your sized box I am not surprised you don't get quite as much low end as winisd is quoting a 10 cu ft box for a 0.7 qtc where as yours is around 0.8 which is great for music. This is what you wanted.

great work mate, it really is a master piece.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I still shake my head when I see the size of the surrounds on that monster:rolleyesno: Makes my 18" look like a toy.

Still probably the best DIY design I have seen, great work corock.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I also somehow thought this would be going below 15Hz, even though it totally makes sense that it isn't as strong below there. It must be that the supreme build quality had me expecting superhuman results. Regardless, it seems to do exactly what it was designed for in spades. I love this thing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It looks great in its final resting place. I still look forward to seeing it completely finished with the faceplate and all.
My 18” gets down to 10 with -7db. I’m sure that it’s the room or placement that is preventing you from going even lower. But as you said, if it’s for music, then there’s no need for any more than what you have. It’s already overkill. I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine for many years. It sure is one of a work of art. A graceful monster.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I would hazard a guess that the driver is not yet run in and is likely to take some time to get there. Better results should follow.
Deeper isnt always better ;) System design, and designing it for what your really want isnt just about getting as deep as you possibly can. For a music only system, 15hz is already as deep as you will ever need :T Driver run in is a consideration though, and its well worth re-running Audyssey once your happy your driver is properly run in.

Corrock, what is the Qtc value of this sub, and does it hit xmax at 15hz, or does it still have some spare?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Absolutely amazing build! You sir have awesome skills, and patience. Do you still plan on utilizing strictly as a music sub? With its ability to pound that low, and after it gets a proper break-in, it would probably give you a perma-grin as a movie sub as well! :D

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Who says a Canuck can't do Broadway?
A 21" electronic behemoth in a display quality, work of art, fine hand shaped cabinetry, show-casing the earth's own recyclable materials . . . . wood and granite!
AWE inspring, that's what it is . . . . just like King Kong was all those years ago.
Way to go Corock, you ARE Platinum.

Is there any stuffing in there? How bout a few pounds of Canada's finest goose down?

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #420 · (Edited)
Well I've given up on the guy who is suppose to be finishing my face plate. Therefore, I've decided to share what my plan was and the work I did up to the point I shipped it for finishing.

My plan was to build a lightweight face plate out of rigid insulation so that it could be attached with magnets for a clean look. It was going to surround the woofer leaving it exposed, and I wanted it finished in carbon fibre which is why I sent it to this guy in Edmonton.

I started with a rough shape and used the enclosure to trace the proper shape and size.

I then took the rough shape down to the exact measurements of the enclosure.

Because of the extensive sanding done to the enclosure the face of it wasn't perfectly flat so I had to add some thickness on one side and meticulously sand that to the shape of the enclosure face.

Then I had to reduce the entire perimeter of the face plate to allow for the thickness of the carbon fibre.

Inset rare earth magnets into the back of the face plate to match up with the ones set in the face of the enclosure. I used big magnets in the enclosure and little magnets in the face plate so that the magnets didn't have to line up exactly to each other.

I was told carbon fibre requires a perfectly smooth surface so the face plate received several fine coats of epoxy and a ton of sanding to get it dead smooth.

The back was then painted black.

And the finished product was ready for carbon fibre and shipped to Edmonton over a year ago.

I have sent him several emails without response. I know he's around because he has posted on his windows messenger wall. I don't even care about the money I advanced for the materials, I just want the face plate back because it took a ton of work to create, and I don't want to take the sub apart and build another one. If anyone wants to nicely ask him to return the face plate to me his email is [email protected]

401 - 420 of 428 Posts