Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
41 - 60 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Re: Maelstrom-21 giveaway build

I use my system for music, movies and tv. Music will be the emphasis of its use though. I like all music, but lean toward hip hop, pop, rap, etc with lots of artificial bass. That's definately what I listen to if I got the volume cranked up.

This build will be about compromise, as is all builds I guess. Aethetics do play a big part of my decision making and I'm not a big fan of slotted ports. From the in-room measurements of my SVS it looks like I'm getting pretty good results down to 15hz out of a sealed box. Sure, the ported box has more spl from 15-20hz but I don't think I'm willing to give up my sealed box design ideas for it.

Kevin H. says not to bother with any less than 2000W to power this thing. The amp has to be black so that rules out the 2700W Face Audio amp. I was thinking of the Behringer EP4000. That's overkill but I guess I don't have to use all that power.
The Behringer EP4000 is essentially an EP2500 with a new name. You'll get over 2000 watts in 4 ohms bridged with very low distorsion, but not 2500 watts, and definitely not 4000 watts.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts

I used my EP4000 to power my dual Q18 sealed bridged into 4ohms with no problems at all and never clipped the amp once. Going from my previous sealed to my two ported, I personally prefer the slot ported subs. The Q's are very musical drivers and even in sealed lean towards a higher qtc which is why I think the curve I have ported still gives me good mid bass. I listen to trance, r&B and even linkin park and it rocks in all of them.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

cheers

Graham

·
Banned
1,074 Posts

We'll give it a go. Its FREE, what do I got to lose. If I build it and going sealed was a mistake, I still got dual SVS PB-13 Ultras, not a bad back up plan.
can I just quote or do I have to make a comment? ok... i felt some pain in my chest when I read that. like what I felt when I read a dear john once. true story.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·

I'm not going to start until the driver arrives. It left Washington today on its way to the great white north. Sawdust there will be plenty of. I'm going to stack 3/4" plywood to create a curved box. I'll use six 4x8 sheets. I could probably create a second box for a smaller sub out of the left over cut-outs from this one.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts

Six 4x8 sheets. WoW! I used 5 sheets of 4x8 mdf and that was for both my subs. And plywood. That stuff is so expensive here in the UK. Its about 3 times the price of mdf. I like the idea of curved. That should be very interesting. Can't wait to see you start building.

cheers

Graham

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

I'm using plywood because I want to stain the wood so the lines and texture are still visible. I'll be using sanded plywood because it doesn't have chunks missing from the edges like the standard sheets. Its about $45 a sheet. in Canada.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)

Here's some renderings on how I plan on building the box. It's 24" wide x 28" high X 29" deep and should be between 7.5-8 cu ft. I designed it to highlight the size of the M-21.

Text Yellow Font Line Parallel

Audio equipment

Footwear Shoe

or here is a bit different version and would add about 1 cu ft

Cylinder

·
Registered
487 Posts

, that will look excellent. Looks very difficult to build ???

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·

The box will be made of horizontal cross sections of 3/4 " plywood stacked on top of each other and glued together. The main bend in the box is easy as that is on the same plane of the pattern cut into the plywood. The curve around the driver gets a bit trickier as it on an opposite plane. Essentially I will have to widen the pattern 5/16" as I approach the widest part of the circle. Widening the tube part of the pattern will increase the area before it intersects the main box giving it that blend as it approachs the rear of the box. That will leave me with a rough pattern of the tube around the driver, from there its a lot of sanding. Right now i'm leaning toward the bottom design with the square back half of the box.

There won't be any pics until after the driver arrives. It should be here next week. I need to actually see this thing and physically use it as I make my patterns. This design will take lots of careful thought...measure 6 times and cut once in this case.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
41 - 60 of 428 Posts