Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I know the excursion of the cone for a M-X 18" driver, but if you were to measure the excursion of the surround what would it be?

I mean from the resting position of the surround, how much further from that point will the surround go with the full excursion of the driver? I hope that made sense?

Basically trying to work out how much distance one would need between the surround and the grill to avoid the driver/surround touching the grill.

Cheers.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
with the driver pushed out fully, it should make a perfect slant..... inner edge of the surround out as far as the cone, the outter edge stays at rest, and the center will be 1/2 way. The 1/2 roll becomes stretched flat. Basically, however far you make your grill stick out... keep it constant to thw mounting flange.

Watch some of the speaker excursion videos maybe a cpl will show what the surround looks like, try pausing maybe.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/mobile-audio-discussion/23485-speaker-excursion-videos.html

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys :)

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
hope it was what u meant and hope it helped... basically, your surround is attatched to your cone..so however far out your cone will reach, make the clearance as wide as the outside of the surrounds as well.. though of course the outter part of the surround won't move at all...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts