Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I named these ShoNuff, because who cares.

They're 13cu^ft enclosures tuned to 15hz. The sonotubes measure 26" i.d.

No measurements yet. I hooked them up to my front main channels to check for air leaks. So far so good. Once I run my wires and hook it up to the amp I will post some measurements with and without Audyssey. Not sure if I will bother with MiniDSP yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Measurements!

These are indoor, 3000 cubic foot airspace with major leaks to the rest of the house.

The un-EQ'd response looks like rubbish . Not sure why that is. The Audyssey XT32 plot looks good. Flat to 10hz. I'm having trouble believing Audyssey is boosting 20db in some areas. Likely a measuring error on my part. I'm using an Audyssey Mic with no cal file, so some stuff could be off by a few db.

The decay above 20hz is good. Below 20hz, it's pretty bloated. I just don't think the house is structurally sound enough to support those frequencies without ringing.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
What receive are you using?

I remember some users of Audyssey saying that it did apply HUGE amounts of gain to the subwoofer. I think that has later been resolved but not sure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I remeasured after figuring out the problem. I assumed my receiver, when set to "direct" mode would kill audyssey but leave my bass management (Sub crossover) intact. Wrong! With 2 channel music, it will send music to the front speakers as full range without a subwoofer track. Instead, you keep stereo mode on like normal, but go into the quick menu and just turn off Audyssey.

Here are some updated measurements from the main listening position:

Bass sweep no EQ:

Bass Sweep with EQ:
Notice the huge dip at 100hz is gone. The Dip at 275hz is improved. This dip coincides with a spike (or dip, cant remember) with the phase graph. I don't understand how to read phase, or how exactly it affects my plot, can someone weigh in ?

Here is a Full Range sweep, with EQ, and Audyssey's Movie curve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.