Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i believe i have the two subs that i am interested most in picked out. But i need to work it down to one. I want to build a ported box enclosure with a 4 or 6 inch port or ports. It will be used mainly for watching movies and playing xbox. So i guess what i am after is which driver will give me the sound i want. will the 18 be tight enough to get that tighter sounding bass that you can get with a 15 if i build it right yet still get it tuned below 20hz and push some bass? honestly i was thinking more of an 18 inch driver but i dont want sloppy bass. the other thing i was worried about is the xmax on the 15 is 26mm while the xmax on th 18 is 22mm. so would they be about even because of the speaker size difference. i know this is alot but your input is really appriciated:T

·
Registered
333 Posts
honestly i was thinking more of an 18 inch driver but i dont want sloppy bass.
Good - you won't get sloppy from the IXL :p

The two woofers look pretty close to me, maybe with the IXL enjoying a slight edge, but if you're in Canada the IXL will be cheaper. CSS also has the SDX 15" to compete against the IXL, and it does so more favorably with 30mm of Xmax.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just wandering i am kinda new to this so it may be a newbie question but why do you want to use less xmax?

·
Registered
333 Posts
The IXL 18" makes up for lack of Xmax in cone area... it should get slightly louder than the Tempest does, though the SDX has just enough additional Xmax to pull even with the IXL.

FWIW, the SDX is also an XBL2 woofer. I strongly considered it before I ultimately decided on my IXL 18.2.2 for my 11Hz LLT project. I'm not at all displeased with the sound quality from the IXL, it is excellent, but as it turned out my tuning frequency is so low I'm not getting the output I want from it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just cant decide what i want. to be honest i like the specs on the sdx. a little more then the tempest but for some reason i cant quit looking at the IXL18". i just wish i could get some good reason to go with one or the other. thank you to everyone for your input so far!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I hear ya - it was hard making my own mind up between the IXL and SDX. I ended up with the IXL after deciding I'd rather look at a big bad 18" than another 15," no matter how impressive a 15" the SDX was. I'd say it took me a month to decide.

I can't imagine being unhappy with the SDX though. It's a great driver.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey another person with the same difficult choice I was having! I'd go the IXL18 as well. Nice thing is, it even models decently in smaller ported boxes as well, where as the Tempest doesn't seem to like smaller boxes. What size enclosure? Sealed/ported?

·
Registered
333 Posts
That's not the half of it - if you're ok with a massively huge box, the IXL 18.2.2 will work in a tapped horn too.

Mine's in a 450L ported box tuned to 11Hz powered by 600W. Does a great job shaking everything not nailed down, but if I had it to do all over again I would raise the tuning to 15Hz. I don't have the headroom with the 11Hz design that I'd like to. Tune it to 15, feed it 800 watts, and it will get seriously loud and sound great doing it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
That's actually slightly bigger than mine. With the IXL you could use a 6" port, go for 11Hz with a 100cm long port like I did and not quite get to Dolby reference in half space; or go with an 8" port 85cm long, end up with a 14Hz tune with much less port noise, and hit reference easily on 800W.

I'd suggest going with the 15Hz tune with that size box. Looks quite good when modeled that way in Unibox. You probably won't miss the 11Hz extension.

The SDX models almost identically to the IXL. Hits Xmax at about the same volume level, response is just as flat. Haven't tried the Tempest yet.

Note that my modeling assumes enough bracing to drop interior volume to 415 liters (14.7 cubic feet). Here's mine so you can see what you're getting yourself into with this big of a box:

Mine is 49.5" x 25.5" x 25.5." C2 shop birch plywood used for materials, with hardwood beams for bracing.

Edit - Tempest X2 comes up short compared to the IXL and SDX. It will hit close to reference in half space on the 15Hz tune, and looks a bit flatter than the other woofers, but you can only feed it 600W or it bottoms out. I'd suggest a higher tune yet on this one, but with room gain you should still get reference at 15Hz.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea i have actually been looking at the sdx instead of the tempest but i still keep finding myself going back to the IXL. i like your setup the is what i had in mind :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Heh - just keep in mind mine has a little trouble playing to reference as pictured - I basically need to point it into that corner in the picture to get it to do it without too much strain.

Right now I have it lying horizontally between the TV and right wall with the woofer aimed at the front wall and the port aimed to the right. Works out not too bad that way.

One look at the IXL in person will make your jaw drop if you've never seen a big 18" with somewhat high excursion before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts