Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Hi Mike, I hope all is well!! Yes, the build as per your specifications is definitely going ahead. I have the 2 drivers sitting in the corner of my office looking at me pleading to be built!!

I have your external measurements so when I move into the new house in a few weeks I will organise having some mdf cut to size and get started on construction. I am looking forward to the challenge. Cheers ROB

·
Banned
361 Posts
beautiful. I'm not much for tube ports anymore, but are those aero attatchments? I am surprised there aren't cancellation issues, and peaks and spikes on the inverse. (edit: by having the 18's separated and then 15's as well...4 dispersed subs)Where do you get your egg crate? Lets see some new pics when the new visuals get in!

Whats with HT guys not making ? (edit speaker movement videos lol i guess we cant say ! )I like 18's moving from 30Hz on down much more than the car audio ! (edit: stuff)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
So Mike . . . . . after some months with those subs in the house playing softly in the background, what can you tell us about having "prodigious" amounts of uber low frequencies available for music and movies? Is the time and money worth the experience of building and listening? Over time have you been able to find a (sweet spot) where you blend the subs with your mains and where is it? Has your family accepted the subs as a necessary part of HT or could they care less?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
what can you tell us about having "prodigious" amounts of uber low frequencies available for music and movies?
The best way to describe 4 active subs in a HT environment is "effortless". I had read about that term and didn't know what it meant until I experienced it. No straining, just effortless low end extension. It totally engulfs you. It's something you have to experience.

Is the time and money worth the experience of building and listening?
Without a doubt. I don't regret one second or one cent.

Over time have you been able to find a (sweet spot) where you blend the subs with your mains and where is it
All subs are crossed over at 80hz. Each sub amp has a variable phase adjustment and it took a while to get them all dialed in right. It's an experience from the listening position.

Has your family accepted the subs as a necessary part of HT or could they care less?
When I had a pair of Shiva's and a pair of Atlas 15's in the HT, it was the wife who mentioned that they sounded strained when pushed hard, and maybe we should get something bigger. That got me the pair of IXL-18's. It was her who wanted an upgrade to her upstairs music system (IXL-15) and also her who wanted a sub in her workout room (IXL-12). Yes, I know. I'm a very lucky man! :yes:

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I had a pair of Shiva's and a pair of Atlas 15's in the HT, it was the wife who mentioned that they sounded strained when pushed hard, and maybe we should get something bigger. That got me the pair of IXL-18's. It was her who wanted an upgrade to her upstairs music system (IXL-15) and also her who wanted a sub in her workout room (IXL-12). Yes, I know. I'm a very lucky man! :yes:
:yikes: :hsd: Mike, thanks for reposting the link to this thread in another. I hadn't seen it before, somehow. You have got some incredibly impressive subwoofers and an equally amazing system, there! I can barely believe your wife mentioned that two 12" and two 15" high excursion sounded strained. :dizzy: That's already on a whole other level from where I'm at, and my wife was happy with a Dayton Quatro 15", only 1/3 of the displacement of the current single Tempest-X. To the Dayton's credit, it was being used with a dynamic limiter, so it never really sound strained - though certainly did after the limiter was removed. The build of your latest monsters is just awesome. Someday, we'll have a house with a large dedicated theater, then I plan to have a 15" (or at least 12") in every single channel, well maybe not the center. :)

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I can barely believe your wife mentioned that two 12" and two 15" high excursion sounded strained
You must remember my HT is on a cement floor in the basement. It takes some serious "woofage" to get the tactile effect. The Shiva tubes sounded fantastic when they were upstaits in the livingroom. But when I moved them downstairs it was like they died. Thus the upgrading to where I am now.

The wife and I decided on a new TV for Christmas. It was time to retire the RCA 42 inch 480i rear projection. It's hard to believe I paid the same price for the new Samsumg 67 inch 1080p as I did for the RCA 10 years ago. I love how things progess!
Next up will be seating. We hope to have decent recliners by this summer. I am so tired of those futtons!

P1100160.JPG

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's hard to believe I paid the same price for the new Samsumg 67 inch 1080p as I did for the RCA 10 years ago. I love how things progess!
Amen to that :T
Exactly what I am planning to do. Buy a huge monster flatscreen, with every conceivable feature, for next to nothing. :fireworks1:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
"Symmetry" is what comes to mind from the co-equal lamps to the twin silver cup holders. Everything a HT enthusiast could ask for . . . . and then some. Nice job Mike.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts