Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally I had chance to complete my two, 365ltr 15hz sonosubs...

Ports arrived first ($62 each ColloPort-6" sourced from affordabledrivers.com.au [of course] - specifically tuned for the IXL18s at 15hz in 365ltrs). Truly beautiful to behold.
RIMG0038.JPG

Then I got to work measuring and cutting the end caps (MDF 3x sheets from memory [check your measurements first!] of 18mm MDF sourced from Bunnings ~$100 total including lag bolts to attached the IXL18s to the enclosure and wood screws to attach the legs)
RIMG0037.JPG

Don't try doing this (=bad!)
RIMG0049.JPG

Next door neighbour kindly purchased a router and bits so I could borrow them! I whipped up an El cheapo jig out of some 4mm MDF
RIMG0376.JPG

Then the sonotube arrived courtesy of neighbour's truck (~$210 sourced from Bowers & Lever). My daughter did not drive (it's illegal).
Tip - wait until the sonotube arrives before cutting endcaps - I used a dressmaker's tape to measure the endcaps and the tape was slightly out (1mm too small!). So I ended up having to cut a few more circles. Thankfully the glue I used expands (foams) to fill the gaps. Afterwards I used filler around the inside of the enclosure joints to seal any leaks.
220608001.JPG

I got to work gluing (Selleys Aquadhere from Bunnings - ~$25-$35 from memory)
RIMG0594.JPG

Don't forget to remove the protection film before gluing in endcaps
RIMG0626.JPG

Bottom on (IXL-18 from Affordable Drivers [naturally] - $304 including delivery)
RIMG0273.JPG

Top on (MDF with floor vinyl stuck on with contact adhesive [Bunnings - $10 enough for vinyl for two subs. Repco for tin of adhesive - $16]). Port glued in with Araldite epoxy resin (Bunnings, ~$18 x 2 packs) and supported internally with small blocks of MDF glued between the edge of the end cap and the port (at the top near the opening).
RIMG0276.JPG

Grill cover (Jaycar metal grills - $9 each, cut out to improve airflow, covered with speaker cloth, glued to plastic surround with contact cement adhesive) - not securely attached to endcap yet.
RIMG0277.JPG

Splash of tyre black (it was sitting around here) at the top and bottom to blend with the black fur covering (fur sourced from Spotlight - $47 enough to cover two subs - just! Glued on with contact cement). Note, tube and endcaps were primed inside and out due to extremely humid environment here in Queensland - I want these babies to last forever!
RIMG0274.JPG

The finished article (sorry for the blurry picture).
RIMG0279.JPG

Closer up (note really cool fur effect top right - looks much better in real life - will try for better pictures)
RIMG0280.JPG

Legs from Bunnings - $7 each (yes it has four, not three)
RIMG0281.JPG

I'd post some REW response graphs but I'm at my limit for attachments - is there a way to post more photos/graphs? I haven't measured the pair anechoic but, after accounting for a huge room gain around 50hz (which I've EQed out - the acoustics are very average in the concrete bunker listening area I have here, unfortunately), they go pretty flat down to 16hz, then start to roll off slightly as they approach tuning. They sound fantastic, plenty of effortless grunt. Well worth the effort! Thank you everyone for all your help :)

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Glad to see you got them done Sam! I can imagine the difference you experienced between the 12 inch Peerless and these 2 sonotubes! They bring new meaning to the term "effortless bass" don't they? As for attachment limits, it might have been the limit for one single post, I'm not sure. You should be able to continue on in another post. We would love to see the REW graphs.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice to see you getting your hands dirty Sam, there i was thinking you just sold me drivers to play with :whistling:

Regards Sam

·
Registered
165 Posts
Did you use 20" sonotube for this? I'm building my own 18" in a sonotube (limited space) and my measurements come up 370L for a six foot long sonotube 18" in diameter.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
24" x 1393mm :heehee:

Sonosub free software should help you with calculations

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm having issues calculating the volume of air in a 6 foot long 24" sonotube compared to a 20" piece of same length. I'm getting 370 liters on the 20" but 533 liters on the 24". What gives?

·
Registered
85 Posts
V = pi * r^2 * h

20" dia
so v = 3.1415 * 10^2 * 72 = 22618.8 in³= 370.656L

24" dia

v = 3.1415 * 12 ^2 * 72 = 32571.1 in³ = 533.744L

but for a sub, you need to subtract the height of the endcaps that go inside the tube from the hieght of the tube.
you also need to subtract the volume that the port occupies.

your calculations seem correct though not sure what your asking ??

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ok. I was just surprised by the sudden gain in volume and then rationality took over. I should stop doing math at work.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The IXL 18.2 is a pretty beefy woofer for the $. I've got one in my brother in laws car, 4.5cf sealed with medium stuffing. It beats the out of his car!

Im pretty sure the 18.2 would make a beast of a sonosub, in fact thats why i bought it, but ended up going with the SDX15 instead. theres just something about a 15 incher that weights 25% MORE than an the IXL 18. especially when you realize its cast aluminum.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The IXL 18.2.2 that i had measured wierd, but worked really well when i designed the box off the given specs, it may have just been that the measurement was done in error, but when it all comes down to it, the measurements being off is the reason why i chose the SDX15. Theyre almost equal in terms of sheer output, but the SDX has more control over the cone. (smaller cone, larger motor than the IXL)

For Canadian products, its awesome!
For no border charges - EVEN BETTER!

Shipping, still sucks. lol.

I do love the sound of the IXL for what its worth. And for a daily car subwoofer, its just insane. 200w gets the back dash bumping a good 2 inches one way. lol. had to tie strap that down with an old towel between the plastic and the metal dash.

·
Registered
272 Posts
so powerfull design i think you get a F3 15Hz easily with this mach 5, respect:jiggy:.

Those tripple magnet motor contibutes to better linearity BxL over the isnane excursions dont they :hsd: . We dont see actualy such dasigns, exception ist sound splinter and TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18". Mach 5 18 prove to be awesome drivers, i am in love :jump:

·
Registered
393 Posts
so powerfull design i think you get a F3 15Hz easily with this mach 5, respect:jiggy:.

Those tripple magnet motor contibutes to better linearity BxL over the isnane excursions dont they :hsd: . We dont see actualy such dasigns, exception ist sound splinter and TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18". Mach 5 18 prove to be awesome drivers, i am in love :jump:
Actually the third slug of the motor doesn't make a huge difference in this design, and its not the same idea as the TC sounds LMS drivers, they use a split-coil setup similar to XBL^2. The mach 5 drivers for the dollar are some of the best, just not to be confused with topologies that have much lower distortion factors.

·
Registered
272 Posts
So TC sounds makes in fact XBL^2 subs without proclaiming it so, instead they should have paid the license.

As i understand the advanced technologies are in subs from:
TC Sounds - Sound Splinter - and RE AUDIO.

Here is a quote of from a LMS Ultra 5400 18" owner in parts-express customer reviews:
"The objective performance is unequaled in my experience. Total harmonic distortion between 20-100 Hz. is 0.4-0.7% at 110db! As output level increases, the distortion rises less than any other woofer ever tested. By comparison, the Exodus Maelstrom 18 measured no cleaner than 2.4% at only 90db and got MUCH worse as level was increased or frequency decreased. The TC Sounds sub maintains low distortion down to 8hz. Frequency response linearity is excellent even up to 1 Khz."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts