Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Mach 5 IXL 10 EBS

Tags
mach
2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mrogowski 
#1 ·
Hey guys i have been looking at building a smaller subwoofer for my Mothers home theater and i have come across the Mach 5 IXL range which are available cheaply here in Australia

I was thinking of a small tower style sub using two of the IXL 10 and an EP1500 :daydream: The Reason is they model really well and require bugger all volume plus if i make a Mini style Gotham the foot print will be tiny. I really only need excursion down to 20Hz in the intended application. Currently there is a $40 Jaycar Venom subwoofer in a 35L enclosure tuned at 35Hz (car box from way back) why is really lacking when i pop over for movies :rolleyesno:

So here are my questions

1) Can i use these for a EBS alignment? The Fs is 27Hz so would i be able to tune in the 15-20Hz region?

2) I think i will need a LPF at about 15Hz because when i model 60L with a 17Hz tune it will pass Xmax at about 15Hz

3) I am all ready have problems designing a port that will work so any advice is appreciated, to tune them to 17Hz any port which is large enough to aviod chuffing has a WAY too low resonance :rolleyesno:

4) Would i be better of using two IXL 12's in a sealed configuration of roughly the same volume?

Im open to all suggestions but please remember that size is the no 1 consideration here: it must be small, thanks guys and girls

Here are some pictures From SSA's Mach 5 Forums

See less See more
#2 ·
The IXL-10 is somewhat difficult to implement in a HT application but it is doable if you realize the subs capabilitiies and stay within them. 2 IXL-10's in 60 liters net volume tuned to 22 hz will work if you are willing to build a slot port. First of all realize that the EP1500 is 400 watts per channel into 4 ohms, so one channel each will feed a sub for a total input power of 800 watts. Port air speed is kept in check by a slot port 3" by 8" by 58 inches long. The first port resonance is 115 hz but that won't be a problem if the sub is crossed over with a 4th order 80hz crossover. Here is the SPL graph of expected output with 400 watts being fed to each sub.

The port would displace 33 liters, so the internal volume of the cabinet needs to be 93 liters.

Text Font Technology Line Electronic device

#3 ·
I did look at tuning higher with a slot port but i thought the air speed should be roughly twice the crossover frequency so for example with a 80Hz crossover a port air speed of 160Hz? I can get the Shiva X for a little extra and could probably get away with twin sealed Shiva's in 100L

Ill have to think about it, the main consideration is space but i would still like decent impact for movies

#4 ·
If you want good impact, tune a bit higher. Two IXL-12's in 100 litres (net) tuned at 22Hz. They will dig into the teens easily with room gain and the box will be fairly small compared to others. Look into Collo's ports - they will help you trim down the box volume by using them.

Good luck!
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.