Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This driver is great value in VD per $/ Euro etc. I'm considering them for open baffle bass, where the Vd will be great.

But are there any distortion tests available on them? Those who’ve built them, what do you think of their sound quality?

What can be said about their quality from the design?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Don't hold your breath. The driver popped when he was testing it and the cost to get a recone is out of budget. Doesn't look too good for Mach 5 does it hahaha.

If it is distortion measurements you are looking for I can provide those. I will require some time as I am a bit backed up with other things.

Best,
Mark

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mike
What crossover do you run?

Hi Mark
When you get time,if you can "be Ilkka for a day". . .;)

Cheers

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Don't hold your breath. The driver popped when he was testing it and the cost to get a recone is out of budget. Doesn't look too good for Mach 5 does it hahaha.

If it is distortion measurements you are looking for I can provide those. I will require some time as I am a bit backed up with other things.

Best,
Mark
Dang it! I guess we won't see any of Illka's testing anymore anyway:thud:. I figured it was only a matter of time before something got smoked by a bridged CE4000 on 220v:paddle:. That 30sec sine sweep is a brutal thing to do to a driver. I'd be surprised if that wasn't what did it.

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Dang it! I guess we won't see any of Illka's testing anymore anyway:thud:. I figured it was only a matter of time before something got smoked by a bridged CE4000 on 220v:paddle:. That 30sec sine sweep is a brutal thing to do to a driver. I'd be surprised if that wasn't what did it.
Hmm, why wouldn't we see any of Ilkka's testing anymore? :scratch:

And it wasn't because of 220V CE4000 or 30 second sine sweep. There are other reasons which will be explained and showed soon. :)

Do these help to ease your mind? ;)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You can tell working for Genelec has been good for Ilkka, look at that control station and those green taffeta backed chairs! LOL
Glad to see you still have your freedom to tinker Ilkka.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Ilkka said:
Hmm, why wouldn't we see any of Ilkka's testing anymore? :scratch:

And it wasn't because of 220V CE4000 or 30 second sine sweep. There are other reasons which will be explained and showed soon. :)

Do these help to ease your mind? ;)

Yes! :clap:My bad:R. I just figured that the Genelec job would have you very busy getting acclimated and without the time to finish off the tests. Im glad to hear that you are still going to make time to do this. I see that you got an Acoupower and it looks like it came from Nathan. I can't wait to see how it does.

BTW I was just guessing what may have happened to the IXL. That is the roughest test that you do and I'm actually surprised that something hasn't been damaged by it yet.

B

·
0 Posts

Best,
Mark
Mark, your everywhare, its Jay, AKA 406er from heights!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Very nice to see Ilkka is finalizing the results for another round of testing - looks like a lot more speakers are being tested this time as well. Appears to be a change of locale for Ilkka too.

To the OP, though I haven't seen any test data, based on the deal the IXL 18 is, I wouldn't worry myself too much over it's distortion, as the next most affordable, "assumed to be decent performing" 18" subwoofer driver is a ways up in price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts