Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a rookie but I was playing with WinISD and it seems liek a 16cf box tuned to 16hz looks good on the graph but I don't understanf the max power and cone excursion so can someone look at this design and let me know if it is a good option. What would the best squire port design be for this box? Power would be an EP2500 bridged which should be 2400 watts.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The bigger the box the less power it takes to reach Xmax. The lower the tuning the more low end extension you get, but at the expense of overall SPL. The trick is to find the best box size and tuning frequency to give you the best balance of low end extension and SPL. For HT use the MJ-18M does well in its recommended size of 10 cu.ft. tuned to 18 hz. This evening I'll post a couple of graphs to show you the difference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I see you chose the IXL series, would that be a better choice for max SPL using the EP2500 @ 1200 watts to each voice coil.

In my other thread the Maelstrom was brought up, how does it compare to the IXL.
What is the advantage if any going with dual voice coils in the IXL.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I see you chose the IXL series, would that be a better choice for max SPL using the EP2500 @ 1200 watts to each voice coil.
The IXL-18 would only take 800 watts total (both coils combined) before Xmax is exceeded.

In my other thread the Maelstrom was brought up, how does it compare to the IXL.
The Maelstrom has more Xmax (cone excursion) and higher power handling (1400 watts) so it would have more output.

What is the advantage if any going with dual voice coils in the IXL.
A dual 2 ohm sub can be wired for a parallel 1 ohm load, a series 4 ohm load or 2 ohms to each coil using a 2 channel amp. A dual 4 ohm sub can be wired for a parallel 2 ohm load, a series 8 ohm load or 4 ohms to each coil. It's all about flexibility.

·
Registered
150 Posts
what are you saying the XMAX of the Maelstrom is? I am getting 60mm for cone excursion when I work that model for the Maelstrom-X.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You see anything I messed up here?

I downloaded the file from the sticky am running 18ft at 14Hz

this is driving me crazy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts